Tuesday, April 30, 2013


A Bird & A Lizard

The work of redemption was accomplished by Christ in His death on the cross and has in view the payment of the price demanded by a holy God for the deliverance of the believer from the bondage and burden of sin. In redemption the sinner is set free from his condemnation and slavery to sin.  John F. Walvoord
As will often happen this time of year, my husband and I were sitting on our patio watching the bird activity.  As you know from past devotionals, we have many doves in our backyard so I think I may have seen Gladys.  The Pips are long gone or they could be coming back to our yard I just don’t recognize them.  Anyway back to my story.  Last night we noticed a bird landed in the yard.  This particular bird had an injured leg.  It was amazing how he could balance on one leg as he held the other one close to his body. 

As we watched him, he would hop on one leg and pick up things out of the grass.  I was watching him and all of a sudden he took flight and landed near the shed in our backyard. His keen eyesight had picked up a lizard on the building.  I didn’t even see it.  The lizard ran up the wall and under the baseboard of the shed.  This bird looked up under the baseboard and reached up and pulled the lizard out. The bird proceeded to beat the tar out of this lizard and yes, you guessed it, he ate the lizard.  Then even with an injured leg he took flight and flew away.
When I watched this bird I thought about the amazing things God created.  This bird was injured but he was able to stay balanced on one leg, his eyesight was keen enough to see this lizard that I didn’t even notice and he was still able to fly quite capably without wobbling. If God provides for this small creature in its injured state, how much more will he provide for me in my brokenness. Through the blood of the cross we are reconciled to God.  What an amazing life we are given.  Each of us can be partakers of an amazing inheritance and this one cannot be measured by worldly standards.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I praise You for loving me enough to want me to be with You forever.  When I look at the creatures you created, how can I not see your amazing power and the grace it took to forgive me of my sins.  I can’t wait to be in Your presence one day.  I look forward to that time with great joy.          
Scripture: For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.  Colossians 1:9-23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment