Tuesday, April 16, 2013


Taxes  

The Bible offers three metaphors that teach us God's view of life: Life is a test, life is a trust and life is a temporary assignment.  Rick Warren
I was grumbling on Sunday.  The reason I was grumbling was because I was working on my taxes.  I know about now you are asking why did you wait so late to do your taxes.  It’s really quite simple.  Avoidance and procrastination. 

I was going through the software and it was asking me every question you can imagine and even some you can’t imagine.  There were new laws that went into effect and calculations that I am not sure the IRS can explain. 
My husband was sitting on the couch and I was at the computer.  I came across a calculation that was so convoluted that I roped him into helping me figure it out.  So with pen and pad in hand my husband listened to the explanation of the calculation and then we tried to see who could come up with the correct answer first or to see if either of us could come close to the correct answer.  I had the calculator so I did have an advantage.  The problem is there is no answer sheet to compare your solution to.  We called it a tie because we both came to the same answer we just calculated it differently. 

I went to the IRS website to seek an answer to our question.  I just thought I was confused before.  There are hundreds of topic discussions on the website and even more FAQ’s.  I mean, even if I started a year ago working on my taxes I still wouldn’t have a clear answer as to whether my answer is correct or not.  When I got to the section labeled Disaster Relief I thought “my taxes are a disaster and I do need relief” but I didn’t qualify.  I finally just broke down and filed an extension to give me a little more time to contemplate my answers.   
I am so thankful that God doesn’t work this way.  The Bible has the beginning and the end.  There will be no additional topics and no revisions.  When it comes to the end of my life here on earth there will be no extensions.  I may have a lot of FAQ’s but I know that if I dwell in His Word He will show me the way.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us a way out of this sinful life we live.  I praise you for the Bible that provides the instructions I need to live a Christian life and guidance for eternal life.  I admit I don’t always understand it and I frequently have questions but I believe that if I dwell in You the answers will come.       
Scripture:  Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.  For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing.  Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.  Romans 13:1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment