Friday, April 19, 2013


Trading Cars  

So long as we are occupied with any other object than God Himself, there will be neither rest for the heart nor peace for the mind. But when we receive all that enters our lives as from His hand, then, no matter what may be our circumstances or surroundings--whether in a hovel or prison-dungeon, or at a martyr's stake--we shall be enabled to say, " The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places" (Ps. 16:6). But that is the language of faith, not of sight nor of sense.  A. W. Pink
Have you ever traded cars with someone?  In this case I needed to trade my SUV with my Mom so they could take my car home to load it for this weekend’s farmer’s market. 

This morning I am running a little late so I forgot my Mom’s car was parked in the front of our house instead of by the garage.  I run out to get in and the car isn’t there.  That is when I remembered I had Mom’s car and it was parked in the front. 
I drive a SUV and my Mom’s drives an Avalon.  So the first thing I notice is when I get in I feel like I am sitting on the ground.  Only those who drive SUV’s understand how weird it feels to get into a car after driving an SUV. 

So I get in and take off to work.  I didn’t have time to acclimate myself with all the buttons on my Mom’s car and since it was cold outside I couldn’t find the button that turns on the heater.  Glad I wore a coat.  Then there is the whole radio thing.  Since my drive in the morning is part of my quiet time with God, I like to listen to our local Christian radio station.  My Mom’s car has an area in the dashboard that shows you all kinds of things.  Date, time, temperature, trip miles, speed, tire pressure gauge, windshield wiper speed, how many revolutions your tires make per mile, wind velocity, humidity outside your car and a  bad hair day monitor.
If you think this didn’t confuse me, wait until you hear about the radio.  There was a seek and scan button, station selectors, CD and cassette player button.  The problem with all this is they think they made it easier to identify which button does what by showing pictures for everything. So there is a picture of a car.  I’m driving so I can’t tell that it is a picture of a car with the trunk open.  So since I am driving I am just punching buttons.  You guessed it the trunk pops open.  Boy am I glad I found that one. 

But I digress.  Back to the radio.  They don’t tell you that some buttons are multipurpose. For instance, if you hit the scan button once, every 30-40 seconds it will randomly move to another station.  It didn’t tell me how to stop the scan. So on the way to work I heard mariachi music multiple times, ZZ Top, Willie Nelson, Maroon 5, a preacher talking about the story of Daniel and then back to a Spanish station.  I have a 45 minute drive to work.  When I got within a mile of work I finally figured out if you press the scan button twice it stops on the station but you have to hit again to scan to the next.  I won’t even begin to tell you about the rear view mirrors and the seat controls.   
I am so glad God makes things simple.  He doesn’t complicate things with buttons that keep us so busy we forget He is there.  When I finally was able to stop the radio to the Christian station I breathed a big sigh of relief.  It reminded me that I should have just turned everything off and enjoyed the peace that surpasses all understanding by spending time with the Father.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, my drive into work this morning was not as peaceful as it normally is.  I long for your presence in my life and this just reminded me that You are always there and there are no special buttons to push or complicated pictures to figure out.  Thank You for making it possible for me to spend quiet time with You no matter where I am.       
Scripture: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.  Philippians 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment