Monday, February 3, 2014

Encouragement & Discouragement

What an encouragement to realize that God has reserved you and me for a special task in His great work. In His hands we're not only useful, but priceless.  Joni Eareckson Tada

The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, 'O God, forgive me,' or 'Help me.'  Billy Graham

If you look at the words encouragement and discouragement they both contain the word courage. 

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is David and Goliath.  If anyone had reason to be discouraged it was David.  He was the smallest of his brothers. Do you remember what one of his brothers said to him when he asked “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?”

Remember how his oldest brother became angry because David was asking the soldiers what they were going to do about this huge Philistine who was defying the armies of God.  His brother actually told him he knew the pride and insolence of David’s heart and asked him why he left his sheep to come down to the battle. 

I don’t know about you but that would have discouraged me.  But David didn’t stop.  He just turned away from his brother and asked the same question of the next person.  When David continues to question why someone isn’t doing something about this giant someone brings it to the attention of Saul and Saul sends for David to be brought to him.  
  
In 1 Samuel 17:32 David said to Saul, “Let no man’s heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine.”   Here is where David should have been discouraged again because Saul tells him, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are a youth, and he a man of war from his youth.” 

So look at this from our perspective. His oldest brother has gotten angry with him and basically told him to go back to his sheep.  Saul has told him that he is not mighty enough to fight the Philistine.  Then Goliath adds his two bits and makes fun of David and curses him and his God. 

David had the courage of God in his heart on that day.  He wasn’t going to let anything discourage him from standing up for God.  We need that very courage today in a world that ridicules our God on a daily basis.  God is looking for warriors to fight the battle of a lifetime and the only way we will get the courage we need is to go to God.  If we have Him going before us we can’t lose.

      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, sometimes I lack courage to face daily obstacles.  The thing I often fail to do is to turn to You for the courage I need.  I pray for the courage of David who knew whose he was and he had a heart for You.  Please give me that same heart.  A heart that will not accept words against You.  If I go to You for courage You will give more than I will need.  Thank you for giving us examples to follow like David.

Scripture: They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.  But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.  Psalm 59:15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment