Monday, February 24, 2014

The Enemy

Jesus defeated Satan in Gethsemane on the cross, not by directly confronting the devil, but by fulfilling the destiny to which He had been called. The greatest battle that was ever won was accomplished by the apparent death of the victor, without even a word of rebuke to His adversary!  Francis Frangipane

Satan's greatest success is in making people think they have plenty of time before they die to consider their eternal welfare.  John Owen

Sometimes sin is easy isn’t it.  The problem with Satan is that often we don’t even realize he is there and has a hold on us.  Have you noticed that the closer you get to God the more you are tempted to sin?  Satan doesn’t worry as much about those of us who are already in the middle of sin.  Satan is more concerned with those of us who are striving to be more like Jesus.  

The more you try to lead the life that God calls us to live, the more Satan will try to tempt us away.  I have noticed in recent years that the closer I get to God more trials cross my path.  It is a struggle every day and it would be so easy to throw up my hands and say I quit.  The thing is my parents didn’t raise a quitter. So every day I fight what Satan tries to throw in my path. 

When Jesus in human form went into the wilderness he was tempted by Satan.  If the Son of God was tempted during His time on earth, why then should we be any different.  God wants us to love Him freely.  If He wanted to He could make us love Him.  

As I was writing this devotional, I was trying to get into Bible Gateway where I look up verses.  Every time I tried to look something up on the website it got hung up.  The thing is I tried getting into other sites and had no trouble.  It was only Bible Gateway that would’nt open.  The icon would spin and spin but never bring up the verse.  

One thing I try to remember on a daily basis is that Satan is roaming the earth trying to find someone to devour.  I don’t want to be that someone.  If I understand that God allows everything for my good, then I will understand that I will be tempted over and over again by Satan.  The key to understanding is that if we look to God instead of at our trouble we will get through whatever Satan places in our path.  Satan can’t defeat us when we have God on our side. 

      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are so many times when I am tempted to give up or quit.  That is exactly what Satan wants me to do.  Thank you for giving me the strength to withstand everything Satan throws at me.  If I keep my eye and heart on You, Satan will not win this battle.  


Scripture: For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment