Friday, February 7, 2014

The Stop Sign

That which should distinguish the suffering of believers from unbelievers is the confidence that our suffering is under the control of an all-powerful and all-loving God; our suffering has meaning and purpose in God's eternal plan, and He brings or allows to come into our lives only that which is for His glory and our good.  Jerry Bridges

I had an eventful drive home yesterday.  This is the third time we have had snow and ice this year so I am becoming resigned to the fact that if it gets below 32 degrees and it is slightly wet there is no telling what will happen and it often does.

I work to the north of the Dallas Metroplex, (I should say way north).  So I watched the news yesterday and knew there was a chance of snow but the weather guy said it would be dry and no chance of it sticking.  I’m beginning to think I should be the weather person because I can do as good a job as my weather guy by stepping out my back door and looking around.  I don’t even need all the gizmos and gadgets they have to change maps and stuff.
 
Anyway I did fine driving the 27 miles home until I drove onto my street.  It was a solid sheet of ice with snow on top.  So I am creeping slowly down my street trying not to bounce off of the cars parked on either side of the street.  I was doing fine until I came up to my corner.   I had to turn and I was going slowly but my car didn’t slow down.  So I am headed for the curb and the stop sign on the corner.  I find it interesting how clearly you see things when you have no control.  This is the first time I ever noticed that the stop sign on the corner of my street is one of those break away kind, maybe because I was getting ready to see it up close and personal.  You know the kind of sign I am talking about.  It has notches along the sign so that if someone like me comes along and hits it the sign will just break away.  The only reason I know it was this kind of sign is because I could count the notches going up the post I was seeing so clearly as I headed toward it.  So I slid across the street headed for the curb and the sign. 

It felt kind of like what it must feel like to drive in the Geriatric Indy 500.  So as I get closer to the sign my SUV starts to turn sideways parallel to the curb.  My front wheel goes up the curb, the rear end slides around and the back wheel hits the curb and the front wheel goes back off the curb, I then slide a few more yards, turn into the alley slide a few more yards and pull into the driveway of my house.  My husband is standing next to his truck scraping the ice off his windshield. I felt like jumping out of my car throwing my hands in the air and having someone poor champagne over my head. 

I open the door and step out and he asks me, “Who hit something on the corner?”  I said “It was me”.  He said, “What were you doing?”  I said, “I slid around the corner and hit the curb, missed the stop sign, slid up the alley and here I am."  He said “I just heard what sounded like someone else do the same thing.”  He didn’t even tell me what an awesome driver I was to have missed our fence and the neighbor’s brand new one, along with the stop sign and his truck.  

When you are out of control the only one who is in control is God.  Remembering that one important fact comes in handy in all sorts of situations.  God can handle our most out of control moments and turn them into a blessing.  God gave us control over ourselves.  That is where we can choose to have self-control or be out of control.  He promises we will be fruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ when we practice self-control.  When outside circumstances take control, let go and let Him. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, over the years I have been in circumstances where I felt out of control. What I learned over the years is that in every out of control situation You intended good to come out of it. Years ago I when I was driving and got into an out of control situation, I would white knuckle my way through it.  What I learned over the years is to praise You for getting me through it because You are in control.  
    

Scripture: But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.  For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.


Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-11

No comments:

Post a Comment