Friday, February 21, 2014

Messed-Up-Itis

God does not want you to become a Go; he wants you to become godly - taking on his values, attitudes, and character. Rick Warren

Several years ago I realized something about myself.  I have a disease called “messed-up-itis.”  Have you ever met someone and listened to them talk about the things that are messed up in their lives and thought, “Wow, they are really messed up or their life is really messed up?” 

I used to think that way.  I read a book several years ago that revealed some things to me that I didn’t know about myself. What I learned is that I am no different than the other person who is messed up or has a messed up life.  Since the dictionary is always coming up with new words each year, I thought they ought to add my disease to the list.  I have messed-up-itis.  Sort of like tonsillitis without the sore throat. 

When Adam and Eve ate the apple and listened to a snake in the grass, they contracted this same disease.  We as their descendants immediately became susceptible to the same disease.  Some of the symptoms are lying, deception, anger, hatred, abusiveness, jealousy, foolishness, pride and the list goes on.  I have also learned that there are different degrees of messed-up-itis.  I can be really messed up or a little messed up, but no matter what the degree, we all have it but there is a cure.

So in my messed-up-ness I sin. What can I do to heal from this disease?  The healing starts with my heart.  If my heart is not cleansed, all of the above listed sins will manifest themselves in me.  So today and every day thereafter I work on me.  I am the only one I can change to be what God wants me to be.  I am working on getting rid of my messed-up-itis. 

        
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am messed up. Once this disease gets a hold on you, it is hard to get rid of it and the symptoms that come with it.  I pray for guidance and mercy from You Father.  If I am ever to be all you want me to be, I must first cleanse my heart of the sins that often overtake me.  I praise You for Your patience with me and Your love for me.

Scripture: When He had called all the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear Me, everyone, and understand: There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!”


When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. So He said to them, “Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?” And He said, “What comes out of man that defiles a man.  For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.  All these evil things come from within and defile a man.” Mark 7:14-23

No comments:

Post a Comment