Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Nature of True Joy

If you have no joy, there's a leak in your Christianity somewhere.  Billy Sunday

When the heart is full of joy, it always allows its joy to escape. It is like the fountain in the marketplace; whenever it is full it runs away in streams, and as soon as it ceases to overflow, you may be quite sure that it has ceased to be full. The only full heart is the overflowing heart.  Charles Spurgeon

Have you ever met someone who knew the true nature of joy?  If you have then you have been blessed, because those who know true joy are not easy to find. When you find someone who has joy in the Lord you will know it, as they will be hard to miss.

What is it about a person who has joy in the Lord that makes them different?  The following are what I think makes this type of person different:

Love unconditionally.  When you meet a person filled with God’s joy, they don’t base their interaction with you on how well they know you.  They simply love others and for them it is not just loving some others, or a few others or a couple of others.  They love all others.

Not hindered by their own heartache.  This person doesn’t understand what it means to not have joy.  No matter what the circumstances they find joy in them. Have you ever met that person you know has been through great trials in their life, but yet they still seem to always be joyful?

They are giving.  This person will do anything for you. They will give you their last dime and anything else they have or own.  They don’t place great value on things; they place more value on people.  

This person is gentle. They see and know what your sin is but they don’t ridicule or judge you for it.  They don’t decide that they are better than you or put you down because you failed.

In Acts 20:23-24 it tells us to finish our race with joy. Except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

We are instructed to rejoice in the Lord and our soul will be joyful in Him.  We are to walk in the Spirit and be filled with the Spirit.  Our joy should come from God.  If you are searching for joy, you can find it in Him.  Other things of this life will not matter when we understand the true nature of joy.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to walk through life filled with joy.  I want heavenly joy, not what the world thinks joy is.  I can find my joy in You if I pursue You with all my heart.  The trials and tribulations of this world will eventually fade away and what will remain is my life with You. Help me to be joyful in You.  
     

Scripture: I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.  For as the earth brings forth its bud, as the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth, so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.  Isaiah 61:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment