Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What Do You Do?

Jesus is hungry but feeds others; He grows weary but offers others rest; He is the King Messiah but pays tribute; He is called the devil but casts out demons; He dies the death of a sinner but comes to save His people from their sins; He is sold for thirty pieces of silver but gives His life a ransom for many; He will not turn stones to bread for Himself but gives His own body as bread for people.  D.A. Carson

Social conversation is kind of interesting.  Do you ever attend an event and stand around making idle conversation?  I used to be totally inept at this.  I was shy and introverted so when the opportunity arose for me to make idle conversation my mind was an absolute blank.  There was nothing to draw from.  My mind just froze and nothing came out.  I would stand there trying desperately to think of something to say that would be witty and funny but there was just a big blank.

Then I found my voice.  There are probably some who wish I had never found it but I did.  I was thinking about this because recently my husband and I went to Whataburger for breakfast.  My husband went up to the counter and I was sitting in the booth by myself.  Directly across from me was an older couple who were sitting in the next booth facing me.  In my old life I would have avoided eye contact because I wouldn’t know what to say. 

Then there is the new me.  I nodded and smiled at the couple and told them good morning.  One of the ways that I learned to open up was I would observe things about other people.  The older gentleman had on a United States Air Force cap.  I asked him if he served in the Air Force.  That was easy.  He said yes he did.  I turned to him and told him that I appreciated his service.  He humbly said “I didn’t do much when I was there.”  I told him that wasn’t true because just being there was important for the rest of us.  His eyes teared up and he had the biggest smile on his face. That alone was worth the conversation.

One of the things I have watched my sister do over the years is if she sees anyone in uniform or anything that tells her they could be military, she makes a point to walk over and shake their hand and thank them for their service.  It is amazing how their faces light up when she does that.  It is a small gesture but it shows them that people do care and that what they do matters. 

As I was thinking about this I thought about how a lot of people will start a conversation with “What do you do?”  I thought about the humbleness of this older gentleman and a thought came to my mind.  What would happen if when someone asked me that question, if I turned to them and said “I am a Sinner.”  Most of the time people want to impress others with their title so they make a point to elaborate on their qualifications and how they got the title.

There is not much to be impressed about if I am a Sinner.  It kind of deflates the over-inflated ego when you admit that is what you are.  It also puts you in a position that is lower than the other person.  I mean it is not hard to come up with a better title than Sinner.  In the proper terminology it is called humbling yourself to another person.  Maybe if each one of us admitted to a complete stranger that we are a Sinner, it would change the world.  Too many times we want to be at the top looking down at others when the best place we can be is at the bottom.
             
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there have been times in my life when I had big fancy titles but the title didn’t mean a thing in light of eternity.  Too many times I thought that was important when in reality I am nothing but a sinner in this life.  Jesus died so that I could have the most important title in the world.  Child of God.  It doesn’t get any better than that.

Scripture: Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way. All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.


Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses. He himself shall dwell in prosperity, and his descendants shall inherit the earth. The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He shall pluck my feet out of the net.  Psalm 25:8-15

No comments:

Post a Comment