Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wrong Way Driver

If sheep do not have the constant care of a shepherd, they will go the wrong way, unaware of the dangers at hand. They have been known to nibble themselves right off the side of a mountain. And so, because sheep are sheep, they need shepherds to care for them. The welfare of sheep depends solely upon the care they get from their shepherd. Therefore, the better the shepherd, the healthier the sheep. Kay Arthur

I was driving this morning and there is a section of road on my way to work that has four lanes with a boulevard down the center.  As I drove up to the intersection and stopped at the light to wait for oncoming traffic to go by, I looked up and there was a car coming the other way but instead of going through the light to turn he stopped.  I knew what was going to happen.  He didn’t realize he was getting ready to turn into one-way traffic.  It was like watching a train wreck about to happen.  The guy turned and since there wasn’t anyone in the far lane he didn’t hit anyone.  I could see the minute he realized he was going the wrong way on a one way street.  The brakes came on when he was already traveling down the lane so then he had to find a place to turn around.  He did make it to a turn and didn’t hit anyone.  I was sitting at the corner praying the whole time.

I admit I have done this before.  When I turned into a three lane road and I looked up all three lanes had cars coming towards me.  It is the worst feeling to immediately realize you are going the wrong way, but the second feeling of how am I going to get turned around is almost worse along with the embarrassment of the situation.

What if I applied this to my Christian life?  We have a habit of going in the wrong direction a lot don’t we?  We think we are large and in charge so we take a turn onto life’s busy street and we are faced with the fact that we are going the wrong way.  Some of us are blessed with people around us who will point out the right direction and get us headed the right way again.  The sad part is some of us spend more time going the wrong way than the right. 

If God is not in charge of our life then we are going the wrong way.  When we need to make decisions and we don’t ask God first, we will most likely end up going the wrong way.  The most important thing in this life is to follow God.  If we are too busy going the wrong way we may well miss out on the eternity of a lifetime. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am so guilty of going the wrong way many times in my life. This most often happens when I think I know what I am doing.  I want to give it all up to You and surrender my life to You.  If I allow You to lead me and practice Your principles, I will go the right way because You will point me in the direction I need to go.  Thank you for constantly calling me back to You.  I praise You above all others.  

Scripture: Assurance of God’s Eternal Protection


Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy.  I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. For You, O God, have heard my vows; You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.  You will prolong the king’s life, his years as many generations. He shall abide before God forever. Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him! So I will sing praise to Your name forever, that I may daily perform my vows.  Psalm 61:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment