Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Turn Your Hurt Into Hope

The Lord gets his best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction.  Charles Spurgeon

When life has been well spent; when there is a conscience without reproach; when there is faith in the Saviour; when there is a well-founded hope of heaven, there can be nothing that should disquiet us.  Albert Barnes

Last weekend we were at a show in Houston and a young woman came into our booth.  She walked into our booth and asked several questions.  If you believe that God sent the Holy Spirit to give us the words to say in circumstances, this was one of those instances.
 
As we were talking, the subject of cancer came up.  She looked to be in her late twenties and she was a breast cancer survivor.  As soon as she told me that, I told her “Oh you get a free candle.”  My sister was standing next to me so she immediately went to get a candle and bag it for this young woman.  I explained to her that I was a cancer survivor too and that we always give cancer survivors a free candle.  She immediately started crying.  I reached across the table and hugged her and told her it was ok. 

I am not squeamish when it comes to crying.  I think it is easier for women because we are so emotional, but maybe it is also because I have had a lot of practice.  One thing I have figured out is that every single one of us is or has been hurt.  The problem is most of us don’t identify that in another person.  It is easier to judge someone than it is to look for the hurt and offer hope.
 
If every person on earth has been hurt at one time or another in their lifetime, we each can offer hope to another person.  Hurt starts with pain and if put in the right perspective, it can bring about hope.  To offer hope to another person we have to make ourselves vulnerable.  We don’t like being vulnerable.  It is against our worldly nature to make ourselves less than another person because we are taught from childhood to be proud and not admit to failure or weakness.  So what do we do?  We pretend.  We pretend that we don’t hurt and we cover it up and we don’t talk about it because others might think we are weak. 

There is Hope in Christ Jesus and each one of us has the ability and opportunity to offer that hope to another person.  Take your hurts and turn them into hope.  You will give another person a glimpse of hope for a better life away from this world.
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, as I watched this young woman cry it brought You to mind.  You give me many opportunities daily to show others hope through experiences in my life.  Help me to be humble with others and not be afraid to step out in faith.  Fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I am not afraid to be vulnerable to someone else.  The ultimate goal is to show someone else You.  Thank you for the difficulties in my life that have taught me what hope means and for turning my hurt into hope.


Scripture: And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?  But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1 Peter 3:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment