Monday, October 6, 2014

Considerate  

Considerate - showing kindly awareness or regard for another's feelings, circumstances, etc.

Being considerate of others will take your children further in life than any college degree. ~Marian Wright Edelman

Do you ever look back on how you have treated people in your past and become ashamed?  I always think of this as my before cancer and after cancer.  It is sad but many times it takes a crisis for us to wake up to those around us. 

My parents and I worked a farmer’s market this weekend and it was a true joy.  I normally work this market by myself or my husband will sometimes work it with me.  I have made many friends at this market and I am always excited to go back. 

Just when I start to think my actions and interactions with others don’t matter I go to one of these events and God reminds me of the importance of being considerate and compassionate to others.  There is my fellow cancer survivor John who I gave a candle to several years ago and always brings his wife and their two greyhounds to see me.  There are the Murdoch’s who always stop by for a visit.  They are an elderly couple who sing in their church choir and I have had the true pleasure of going to one of their concerts.  They sang all the old hymns that I enjoyed as a child.  There is my good friend Karen with whom I have a special bond that can only be described as a God connection.  Then there is Nancy the retired school teacher who has not missed a market yet.  This weekend we had a visit from a young woman I met several years ago whose sister lived in Australia and had cancer.  We had given her a candle to take to her sister.  She stopped by our booth to let us know her sister had passed away but she sent a gift to my Mom.  She told us about how she took care of her sister before she died and how much she loved the lavender and how much it calmed her.

If you ever think that no one is listening or observing what you are doing think again.  The vendor next to us at the market is a beautiful young woman name Dena.  As we were breaking down our booth she stepped over to our booth and asked if we were believers.  She had overheard our conversation with the Murdoch’s about them being in the choir.  They had brought us tickets to attend their Christmas choir event.  Dena and I talked at length about our Christian walk and how much our lives had changed because of the Lord.  We discussed how important it is to show non-believers what a true Christian is and that others are always watching. 

The Bible says that we are to show consideration to all—that means the homeless person on the street, the store clerk at the grocery store, individuals we work with who may not know God.  This list is endless.

Jesus was constantly in trouble with the Pharisees because He constantly broke away from their rigid traditions.  They were more concerned with whether it was lawful and not whether it was kind or reasonable.  Jesus was an expert on being considerate. 
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to be considerate of others and show them You through my actions.  I sometimes get impatient and am not as kind and considerate as I should be.  Help me to see others as You do.  I praise You for your compassion and considerateness toward me, a sinner who doesn’t deserve it.

Scripture:  Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7


But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment