Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What’s Next?    

The branch of the vine does not worry, and toil, and rush here to seek for sunshine, and there to find rain. No; it rests in union and communion with the vine; and at the right time, and in the right way, is the right fruit found on it. Let us so abide in the Lord Jesus. Hudson Taylor

Worry is the sin of distrusting the promise and providence of God, and yet it is a sin that Christians commit perhaps more frequently than any other.  John MacArthur

Do you ever worry about stuff?  Do you ever look at your life and ask yourself what’s next?  Why do we spend so much time in our lives worrying about what’s coming next?  It’s not like we have any control of any of it in the first place. 

The older I get the more I see how much time I have spent in this life worrying about things that never happened. It’s like borrowing trouble that never comes. 

I think we should change our way of thinking.  Instead of asking what’s next we should be saying God I’m ready for whatever happens.  I’m ready for whatever comes my way because I know You are there with me.  You aren’t going to give me more than I can handle.
 
I think many times we are so busy worrying about what might happen that we miss God speaking to us in the everyday things that happen in our lives.  God tells us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things will be added to you. One of my biggest struggles in life is not seeking Him first.  One of the best examples of trusting God is the birds of the air.  They don’t sew or reap nor do they gather and store provisions into barns.  God feeds them.  How much more does He care for us?  Are we not children of God? 

I love that the Bible is full of humor if you search for it. In Matthew 6:27 he says “Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?  I looked up what the measurement of a cubit is.  It is about 18 inches or 21 inches for a long cubit.  All of our worrying about what’s next will not make us grow taller.  God is saying stop worrying and trust Me.  I will take care of you as I do the lilies of the field and the birds of the air.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of the sin of worry.  When I worry I am basically saying that I don’t trust You for my needs.  I have learned that the more stuff I have, the more things I can find to worry about.  There are the finances to pay for the stuff, the money required to repair the stuff and the room to store the stuff that I worry about.  Help me to lighten my worry load.  If I get rid of a bunch of stuff there will be more room for time with You and I won’t worry about “what’s next”. 


Scripture:  Do Not Worry

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?


 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?


“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.  Matthew 6:25-34

No comments:

Post a Comment