Monday, October 13, 2014

Power Outage  

The key is not money; organization, cleverness, or education. Are you and I seeing the results Peter saw? Are we bringing thousands of men and women to Christ the way he did? If not, we need to get back to His power source..." Jim Cymbala

This is Monday isn’t it?  This morning I left my house earlier than normal since it was storming and raining.  I arrive at the office and the door where I normally go to enter the building is glass and there is normally a hall light on.  I didn’t think anything about it because I could see computer screens in the first floor offices and they were on so the building had power.  So it is raining and there is no cover over the entrance and I walk up to the security keypad and my access key beeped but no light came on.  The door was still locked.  So I walk back to my car and sit to see if anyone else drives up and can get in.  I see a couple of guys go up to the front door and not come back out so I think, “great, I can get in that door.  So I get out of my car, it is still pouring, and I go to the main entrance, try my card and the door won’t open.  So I go back out to my car.

So I am sitting in my car thinking about how this is making me late to write my devotional, when a guy pulls up, gets out of his car, walks up to the door and it opens.  I get out of my car and walk up to the door and there are still no lights on in the hall but the keypad works and opens the door.  I get upstairs and lights are flickering, there is no air on and that white noise that they pipe into office buildings is gone.  It is so quiet.  The only noise comes from the few people who are here this early and the air conditioner that keeps trying to come on but keeps kicking off again. I run into one of the ladies that I work with and she tells me, “You may not have power in your office because the front half of the building is dark.  I walk down the dark hallway to my office and step into my office and my lights come on.  So we have a partial power outage.

We have become totally dependent on power.  There is not much that we do in life that isn’t controlled by electricity.  God is the best source of power and we often don’t think to use Him when we are most in need of it.  If we only have partial power we are not going to operate at maximum efficiency in anything we do in His name.  If I only have partial power I may be able to connect with someone who needs to hear about Him, but if I don’t know the scriptures to share with the other person, then I am operating with only a portion of the power that God wants to give me.  Where do you get your power?  God is the best source and all we have to do is believe in Him and ask.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, as I thought this morning about our lack of power at the office, it turned my thoughts to You.  You are an amazing power source and I often don’t take the time to tap into it.  “The God of Israel is He who gives strength and power to His people, Blessed be God!” Psalm 68:35

Scripture: But I will sing of Your power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.  To You, O  my Strength, I will sing praises; for God is my defense, my God of mercy.  Psalm 59:16-17


 

No comments:

Post a Comment