Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Thankful for Everything

The thankful heart sees the best part of every situation. It sees problems and weaknesses as opportunities, struggles as refining tools, and sinners as saints in progress.  Francis Frangipane

Do you have a thankful heart and, if not, how do you get one?  It’s not like you can go out and get a thankful heart transplant. 

I must confess that earlier this week my heart wasn’t very thankful.  On Monday I was driving to work and my brand new car started running rough and then the engine light came on.  Of course, I didn’t know what the icon on the dash was so I pull off the freeway into a parking lot and pull out the owner’s manual to see what that light could mean.  I am sitting there with all the things running through my head about what I needed to do.  I mean it is a brand new car and it shouldn’t have this kind of problem right?

That is not exactly right is it?  Is there some unspoken rule that says that if you buy a new car nothing will go wrong for the first year?  So I call Roadside Assistance and they send a tow truck to take my car to the shop.  I spoke with the service department yesterday and they tell me they are going to pull the engine to see what it wrong with it. The kicker is they may need to keep it in the shop for 2 weeks and I don’t qualify for a free rental car.  I had one of the ladies at work tell me she would be down at the dealership telling them they would give her a rental or else.

This is the point where most of us ruin a great opportunity to show someone else who God really is.  I could have taken this ladies advice and taken my frustration out on the Service Manager at the dealership and I must admit I considered doing just that.  Then something stopped me.  When the Service manager finished telling me that I wouldn’t get my car back for 2 weeks I just got quiet and then thanked him and asked him to call me when he had any new information. 

I called my husband and asked him if he could stop by the dealership after work to get several things out of my car and to see if he could get more details about what they think is the problem. 

Here is the blessing part.  As my husband was talking to the Service Manager he tells my husband to thank me for being so nice to him about the car.  He told my husband that he can’t tell you the number of times women come in and yell at them because they bought a new car and it is already in the shop for repairs. The second blessing in all this is that I didn’t trade in my old twelve year old Green Machine as my husband calls it because they wouldn’t give me anything for it when I bought the new one.  So I actually didn’t need a rental.

Each of us has a choice in how we deal with trials in our life.  In today’s scripture James tells us to “count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.”  It doesn’t say count some of it joy or a few things joy.  It says ALL.  In Thessalonians it tells us to “pray without ceasing and in EVERYTHING give thanks for this is the will of God.”   It doesn’t say in a few things give thanks or pray every once in a while.  If we are to do God’s will we need to be following His Word.  
  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I had some challenges this week but You showed me through other people what it means to be thankful for everything.  I don’t always do this.  Help me to count it all joy when I face various trials in life.  If I am prepared to face the trials of life I will handle it well and give thanks for the lessons and wisdom learned through those trials.  
  

Scripture:  My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:2-5


Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.


Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment