Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Everyday Events

The sacred moments, the moments of miracle, are often the everyday moments, the moments which, if we do not look with more than our eyes or listen with more than our ears reveal only...a gardener, a stranger coming down the road behind us, a meal like any other meal. But if we look with our hearts, if we listen with all our being and imagination…what we may see is Jesus himself.  Frederick Buechner

Are you learning something from God every day?  It’s not easy hearing God speak when we are living in this fast paced world.  Sometimes we miss the answer to our prayer because we don’t slow down long enough to listen for it. 

Yesterday my parents and I spoke at an event.  God speaks all the time and if we are paying attention we will see Him at work in our life and also someone else’s.  There was a lady at our event whose sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.  After I finished speaking one of the ladies in the room asked her to tell about her sister’s cancer.  She began by saying that her sister was diagnosed 6 months ago and was scheduled for a double mastectomy this week.  When she went in for her appointment prior to surgery, her physician looked at the radiology report and it showed no cancer.  They were able to do a lumpectomy instead of a double mastectomy. We later found out that her physician is a Christian and that prayer played a large part during her cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. 

As I stood there listening to her speak a chill ran up my back.  It was like God reached out and touched me.  I couldn’t help but grin because that was a God moment.  Sometimes he just wants us to slow down long enough to notice that He is there.  Other times he wants us to listen to what He has to say for our own benefit.  Maybe He just wanted me to hear Him speak so that I could repeat the story to you. 

If we are too busy or don’t slow down, we may miss the most important thing God has to say to us.  Take the time to listen for God’s voice.  He is talking but sometimes we just aren’t listening. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I try to listen for You.  There are times when I miss what You are trying to tell me because I am focused on me instead of You.  Help me to clear my mind of outside distractions so that I can hear Your voice clearly and without interruption.  I praise You for caring enough about me to want me to hear what You have to say in the everyday events of my life.
      

Scripture: I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what He will say to me, and what I will answer when I am corrected.


Then the Lord answered me and said:


“Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.  “Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith.  Habakkuk 2:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment