Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Lucy & Ricky

Thank God I have seen an orange sky with purple clouds.  How easy it is to forget that we have the privilege of living in God’s art gallery.  Erica Goros

I don’t know if you received the baby announcements yet, but we are the proud grandparents of two baby doves.  Since Fred and Ethel are the parents, we decided to name them Lucy and Ricky. 

Ethel has been an amazing mother.  When we had snow, ice and freezing temperatures, she never left the nest.  I am thinking that while I was at work Fred was bringing her food because I never saw him.  She stayed on the eggs until they hatched.  God is pretty amazing when you think about it.  I was concerned about the eggs freezing and he gave Ethel the instinct to protect her eggs from freezing. 

So back to the baby announcement.  We noticed a week or so ago that Ethel kept getting higher and higher in the nest.  She finally got to the point that her head was touching the roof of our patio.  We knew something was up; actually two somethings.  A few days later we saw a beak hanging over the edge of the fan casing.  Then we saw two.  Did I mention that they grow extremely fast?  I looked out last week and Ethel was gone.  While she was out looking for food, I took a picture of the babies in the nest.  Their heads were hidden but their tails were sticking up over the top of the fan casing.  It was like they were hiding in plain sight. 

It absolutely fascinates me that these two fuzzy babies are growing feathers within a couple of days.  Lucy and Ricky are actually getting bigger than Ethel.  It kind of reminds me of the cuckoo laying its eggs in another’s nest and letting someone else raise them.  If Ethel is raising two cuckoo’s she sure is a great foster parent. 

I am looking forward to the flying part where Ethel takes them out to the end of the fan blade and tells them to take off.  God created an amazing array of animals by which we can see Him at work.  God isn’t hard to find, if we are willing to slow down and look.
           
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am so amazed by Your Creation.  We are surrounded daily by what You created.  Help me to slow down in my busy life and watch You at work.  We can learn so much about life from the very life You created in us and the nature that we sometimes take for granted.  Thank you for opening my eyes to the little things that can teach me more about You.  
       

Scripture:  Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? Luke 12:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment