Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Words of Life

God has given us two ears, but one tongue, to show that we should be swift to hear, but slow to speak. God has set a double fence before the tongue, the teeth and the lips, to teach us to be wary that we offend not with our tongue.  Thomas Watson

On Sunday at church we had a visiting pastor who talked about the power of words.  Words can build up or break down.  One of the things he covered was the statistics of how damaging words can be. One of the statistics that struck me was that 1 out of every 4 children have never had a significant conversation with their dad.  Another was 55% of wives don’t like how their husband talks to them. 

Another thing that happens with negative words is that we remember those better than we do the compliments we receive.  Those negative words also are easier to recall and perpetuate themselves in other relationships.

The part of the sermon that caught my attention was when he read from Matthew 12.  In this section of verses it talks about how a tree will be known by its fruit.  He also talked about how what is in our heart will be what we speak.  If we don’t work on our heart; whatever comes out of our mouth will reflect what it in the heart.     

“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. Matthew 12:33-35

The verses that struck me the most in this passage were “But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”  Matthew 12:36-37 

But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. James 3:8-9

When he said on the day of judgment we will be judged on how we use words, I decided at that moment that I would focus my attention on how I use words.  I will be judged on every word I’ve spoken to another person.  When I look back over my life and think of the times I have said hurtful things to another human being; that gets my attention. 

If each individual is made in the likeness of God and we use words to harm them, then we are using those words against God.  That really gets my attention.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of using hurtful words to harm another.  I ask for your forgiveness for the times I have used anger and hurtful words to destroy another person.  I received a card that was passed out at church on Sunday.  I plan to carry it with me to remind me how important words are and how they can give life or take it away.  Proverbs 18:21 MSG  Words kill. Words give life: They’re either poison or fruit—you choose.      

Scripture: If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. James 1:26

No comments:

Post a Comment