Monday, March 9, 2015

Quiet Time

The prayer offered to God in the morning during your quiet time is the key that unlocks the door of the day. Any athlete knows that it is the start that ensures a good finish.  Adrian Rogers

Do you spend quiet time with God?  Too many times we want God to speak to us, yet we don’t spend quiet time with Him.  How can we hear Him speak if we are moving so fast that we can’t hear Him?

If we are going to get the most out of our time with God we need to plan ahead for it.  Too many times we rush through our prayers and conversations with Him and we miss what He wants us to know and learn. 

It has been 9 years since I first started setting aside specific time to be with God.  It wasn’t easy at first because I had become so accustomed to living life at the speed of light that I really wasn’t prepared to hear from Him.  What I learned over the years is that the more time I spend with Him the more I want to devote to Him.  When I get to work, the first part of my day is spent with Him.  That time helps me to prepare for the day ahead. 

There are several things we need to do to make sure our time with God is well spent and to enable us to get the most out of our time with Him.  We need to first be quiet before Him.  Stop the noise, music and any other things that distract us and just be quiet.  Next we need to pray.  Ask God to open our hearts and minds to what He would like to show us.  Too many times we tell God what we want instead of asking Him to show us what He would like us to do.  We then need to read a portion of scripture and then meditate on it.  Our time with God is not a sprint, it’s a marathon.  If we hurry through it we will probably miss something important. 

Set aside a portion of your day to spend time with God.  You will be amazed at what He wants to show you and how it will change your life.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are times when I read your Word too fast and I let the distractions of life interfere with my time with You.  I want to hear You speak, but I can’t do that if I am too busy, moving too fast and am not paying attention.  Remind me that for me to hear from You I need to find a quiet place to meditate on Your Word and in the quietness of that time I will hear from You.    
  

Scripture: Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment