Monday, July 27, 2015

Where Are You Going With Your GPS?

If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

God does not guide those who want to run their own life. He only guides those who admit their need of His direction and rely on His wisdom.  Winkie Pratney

I was traveling this weekend and when I headed home I got a little lost.  Well ok, I got a lot lost.  At least I figured out I didn’t know where I needed to go before I was in another state so that is good when you live in Texas. 

So I pull over into a parking lot to set the GPS on my car.  I think GPS is great except when my voice system doesn’t understand a word I am saying even when I say it loudly and slowly.  The GPS doesn’t go into detail about how you need to say numbers and if you have a street name like Kensington it really confuses it.  When my GPS stopped thinking about where I wanted to go and came up with some options to select from, the voice came on and said select a number for the correct address.  My options all began with a number that looked something like this: 32000851645 King Street.  After four times of telling her “none of those” I finally just started manually entering the information. 

One of the things used long ago by sailors was the Polaris principle.  If you plan to go somewhere it is always best to know where that somewhere is.  Sailors used the North Star because it always stayed in the same place.  No matter when you looked for the North Star it would always be in the same place and you would always know you were heading north if you followed it.  The North Star is fixed in place. 

In life we need the same thing.  We need a North Star that will get us to where we need to go.  We must first decide what or whom our North Star is.  Is your North Star a friend, colleague, spouse or family member?  Have you figured out yet that any one of these can fail you, disappoint and give you bad directions?  We are human and God is not.  God should be our North Star.  He is never changing, always there and always consistent and forever dependable to lead us in the right direction.  If we keep our eyes focused on Him our paths will be straight.  He directs us in the way we should go.  There is no better GPS than God our heavenly Father. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I praise You for being my Spiritual GPS.  I am hopelessly lost without Your guidance.  Help me to keep my eyes focused on You so that my feet don’t fall off the path that leads to You. 
      

Scripture: Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.  Hebrews 13:7-9

 

The Race of Faith

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment