Thursday, July 30, 2015

Doubting God’s Love

Difficulties and obstacles are God's challenges to faith. When hindrances confront us in the path of duty, we are to recognize them as vessels for faith to fill with the fullness and all-sufficiency of Jesus.  A.B. Simpson

Do you ever doubt God’s love for you?  I think we all do at various times in our life.  We doubt if He will help us out of the situation we are in, we doubt He will heal us, we doubt we will get the job we apply for and we doubt He will provide for us.  Many times the doubt we have is based on what we think we need instead of basing it on what God knows we need.  Too many times our doubt is based on a want instead of a need.  Sometimes it is based on our desire to avoid the very circumstance that God wants us to experience so that we will grow.

When you are doubting God’s love for you there are scriptures that you can turn to that will help overcome doubt and help you to understand that God wants what is best for you.  When we surrender to God’s abiding love, we learn what it means to have faith in the One who wants what is best for us.  Sometimes what is best for us is painful. The best example in my life was cancer.  I didn’t want cancer but it happened.  It was painful yet it taught me to appreciate what I have and to not pursue the things that don’t matter.  It also taught me that God loves me enough to heal me.  It taught me that He is with me in the worst of circumstances and also the best. 

Jeremiah 29:11-14
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says the Lord, and I will bring you to the place from which I cause you to be carried away captive.

Psalm 91:1-6 Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.


Psalm 27:13-14
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Proverbs 3:5-10
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones. Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, please forgive me for ever doubting Your love for me.  Remind me that even in times of trouble in my life, You want what is best for me and sometimes the most painful times in my life are meant for my good.  The very things I want to avoid in life are often the times I learn the most about what it means to love and know You.  I praise You in the good times and the bad.  I am forever grateful for Your love for me. 
     

Scripture: The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?  When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell. Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident.


One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment