Monday, August 3, 2015

Pray About It

Our God has boundless resources. The only limit is in us. Our asking, our thinking, our praying are too small. Our expectations are too limited.  A.B. Simpson

There are times when I don’t hear God speaking to me.  Many times I think it is because I don’t pray about what I am about to do.  Other times it is because I think I know what I need to do, so I go ahead and do it without praying about it first. 

How many times in life do we miss God’s blessing because we were too busy to pray or we had already made a decision about what we planned to do and didn’t bother to pray about it at all?  

In Philippians 4:6-7 it tells us "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 

Many times I think these verses are misunderstood.  This doesn’t say pray about everything and you will get it.  God wants us to look to Him and talk to Him about everything.  Notice it doesn’t say pray about some things or a few things or 10 things. Our relationship with God is built on communication with Him.  What verse 7 does say is that God’s peace will guard our hearts and minds.  Prayer lays our problems at God’s feet and when we release it to Him we will have His peace. 

If we pray to Him about everything we will be filled with His peace.  We then don’t need to worry about what we are praying about because it is in His hands.  The outcome of giving it to God is simply peace that surpasses all understanding.  Sometimes that is the very thing we need the most, peace. 

If you are agonizing or worrying about something in your life pray about it to the One who can handle anything that happens in our life. When Jesus left this earth, He left us His peace.  The beauty of it is, He is coming back again.  That is why praying about it makes it all worthwhile.  He will come again one day, but until then He wants us to live with His peace.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often make decisions without praying to You about them.  I think many times I miss Your blessings because I don’t take the time to lay it before You.  Help me to remember that You want a relationship with me and that means praying to You in everything I do.  I want the peace that surpasses my understanding and the only way I can get that is by praying about everything.      

Scripture: Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said,  ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.  John 14:27-28

No comments:

Post a Comment