Thursday, August 13, 2015

Choose Your Friends Wisely

True friends face in the same direction, toward common projects, interests, goals.  C.S. Lewis

Job's friends chose the right time to visit him, but took not the right course of improving their visit; had they spent the time in praying for him instead of in hot disputes with him, they would have profited him, and pleased God more.  William Burnall

When I was in college I had a friend I spent a lot of time with.  We had some of the same classes so we decided to ride together on days we had the same classes.  When we started riding together, one of the things that always made me crazy was she was always late picking me up.  Since we were freshman in college we had to park in the worst locations.  You know how it goes.  All freshman get to park at the football stadium a mile away and there were no shuttles.  So if you were already running late for class and you parked a mile away chances are you would miss half of the class.  There were even times when I missed the whole class.

I finally determined that I couldn’t ride with her anymore because she was a bad influence on me. There are times in life when the friends we choose are not good for us.  If you have an alcohol problem, it probably wouldn’t be in your best interest to hang out all the time at a bar with friends who drink. 

There are several important questions to ask yourself about the friends you choose:

“Do your friends keep you from living 100% for God?”
“Do your friends build you up or tear you down?”
“Do you find yourself conforming to things you know you shouldn’t do?”     

In Proverbs 22:24-25 Solomon tells us to make no friendship with an angry man, and with a furious man do not go, lest you learn his ways and set a snare for your soul.  If you have friends that are pulling you further away from God instead of drawing you closer to Him, you might need to reevaluate the friendship.  If we are constantly exposing ourselves to friends with the wrong attitudes or values; we will often become just like them. 

When you choose friends, choose wisely.  A friend should bring out the very best in you, build you up and encourage you to be a better person. Choose wisely and you will live wisely. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, in the past I have made good and bad choices when choosing friends.  Some were a bad influence on me and I became less like You, while others encouraged me to become more like You.  Help me to wisely choose friends who want to bring out the best in me for the glory of You.    

Scripture:  The righteous should choose his friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray. Proverbs 12:26

No comments:

Post a Comment