Monday, August 10, 2015

Learning From Our Mistakes

Experience is the Lord's school, and they who are taught by Him usually learn by the mistakes they make that in themselves they have no wisdom; and by their slips and falls, that they have no strength.  John Newton

We invite trouble in when we don’t learn from our past mistakes.  Many years ago not long after I graduated from college, I went in search of a job. It might help if I explain that my degree is a BS in Home Economics and Business.  My major was in fashion merchandising.   I interviewed for and received two job offers.  One of the jobs was a manager of a women’s department in a clothing store and the other was a merchandising position with Dillards. 

As a college student we often have big dreams of conquering the world when we graduate.  You spend four or more years getting educated and then we think we can just walk into the first place we apply, get the job and we will live a rewarding life and everything will fall into place.  I will say that I had that mentality but another thing I looked at more than anything else was the position and title.  You know how it goes.  You want to go to your first class reunion and stand around talking about what you are doing and you really want to impress everyone with your job title. 

So when I was offered the two jobs, I chose the Department Manager of the upscale clothing store.  What I figured out much later was that I wasn’t really as smart as I should have been with all that education I spent four years getting.  I accepted the job that sounded better when you said it.  It was a matter of pride for me.  I wanted to sound important which is really kind of stupid.  Instead of looking at the two jobs and evaluating what would be better for me in the long term; I looked at the title and went with it. 

What I learned working in that job was that I hated what I was doing.  The title was just a glorified name for salesperson and it doesn’t take much to manage clothes.  I didn’t have people working for me so I didn’t manage people; I managed clothes.  What rack would I put the suits on and which rack would I hang the shirts.

What I learned from that job was I hated the hours I worked, inventory, cold calling customers to try to get them to come in to buy a $400-$600 suit.  I lasted about a year in that environment until I left and went to work for a temp agency. I also learned that the title is not as important as the job. 

Every one of us makes mistakes.  If someone tells you they don’t make mistakes they are not being truthful.  We all make them.  The most important thing about mistakes is what we learn from them.   
  
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I’ve made so many mistakes in my life.  One of the most important lessons I have learned from my mistakes is to not repeat the same one again.  I also learned that pride can bring about failure.  I need Your help in evaluating everything I do in life and if it doesn’t follow what You tell me in the Bible it will be a mistake.  Remind me to take the time to consult with You first before I move forward.

      

Scripture: You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?  This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?  Galatians 3:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment