Tuesday, August 4, 2015

That Old Porch Swing

Cast your burden on the Lord,
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.  Psalm 55:22

In May of this year we took my Mom back to Louisiana where she grew up.  We called it the Nostalgia Tour II because this was our second trip back home to visit the places where she was raised as a child.  One of the highlights of the trip was we were able to find her grandmother’s and my great grandmother’s old house.   

I’ll admit finding her house was a little bit of a challenge.  Mom’s memory was great because she remembered crossing a bridge when she was little and once you crossed the bridge there was a road to the right.  The road just happened to be named after our family so that was awesome.  We turned down a paved road.  The further we went the more remote it became.  The paved road turned into a gravel road that then turned into a grass road.  At the end of the grass road was my great-grandmother’s house. 

As we parked and got out of the car memories flooded my mind.  The house is still standing after all these years.  It is need of repair, but the amazing thing to me was the old porch swing on the front porch.  When I was young and we visited I remembered there were two swings.  She had one on each end of the covered porch.  One of my favorite memories was we would get on one swing and swing as high as we could and then jump off and run to the other swing and do the same thing. 

My memories of that old porch swing made me think of the peace God wants us to have in this life.  I can remember sitting on the swing, barely being able to touch the floor just enough to lightly push it into motion.  The gentle sway of the swing as you rocked back and forth.  I think that is what God’s peace feels like. Gently swinging on that old front porch and when the swing stops, you reach down with your toe and push it into motion again.   

I was listening to a song by Marcy Each, Jennie Lee Riddle and Sean Carter called Porch Swing. In the chorus it says, “If I’ve got you, then I am happy; My heart is full and worry free. We make this whole thing too complicated, Just take me back to that old porch swing.  Let’s just slip away to that old familiar place.  Let’s keep it simple, don’t complicate it, just me and You and that old porch swing.”

Where is your porch swing?  Do you have someplace you go where the peace that surrounds you reveals God to you?  It might be the ocean or the mountains, a park or a quiet lane.  We spend so much time making our lives complicated, when God is just waiting for us to slow down and notice He’s there.  Find your porch swing and pile up in it.  Spend time with our Creator.  You’ll be glad you did.

   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, that old porch swing reminds me of You.  There is an indescribable peace that came over me when I would swing on that old porch.  Over the years I had the opportunity to swing in hammocks, park swings and gliders.  The thing they all have in common is I feel close to You when I am gently swaying back and forth.  I feel You holding me in Your arms protecting me from harm.  Thank you for the wonderful childhood memories that remind me of You.  
    

Scripture: There are many who say, “Who will show us any good?” Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the season that their grain and wine increased. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.  Psalm 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment