Thursday, August 20, 2015

Doing What I Know I Shouldn’t Do

We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive. C.S. Lewis

A saying I heard years ago: 'It doesn't matter what you do. Just do something, even if it's wrong!' That's the most stupid counsel I've ever heard. Never do what's wrong! Do nothing until it's right. Then do it with all your might. That's wise counsel.  Chuck Swindoll

Do you ever do things you know you shouldn’t?  We all do.  How many times do we acknowledge that what we are about to do goes against everything God teaches, but we do it anyway?  I’ve been there and done that. 

There are several reasons why I think we do this.  Sometimes we have the misconception that no one will ever find out about it.  So we live one way at home and another way at work.   We portray a Christian at church and a sinner at home. When we do this we start what I call the “Big Cover-up”.  We start by stretching the truth or we deflect and then we even blame another person or falsely accuse someone else for our downfall.

Another reason is we buy into the premise that if I do this it will bring me happiness. So we know what we are about to do is wrong, but we convince ourselves in a twisted sort of way that it is the right thing to do.  If we buy into this one, we soon find out that the happiness we thought would be ours is not even close. 

We also forget that God knows everything we do.  So if we want to follow God and live as a Christian we need a constant reminder that God is aware of everything we do. 

How do we overcome the sinful urge in us to do what is wrong? The first step is to understand who God is.  I believe that our God is a forgiving God.  I also believe that there are consequences for the things I choose to do that go against what God tells me.  If I make bad decisions in life, there will be consequences for them.  The second thing we need to understand is I can be forgiven by God, but the consequences of my sin can include pain, regrets, sorrow, broken relationships and lost rewards.  This life is a struggle and will be until we leave it.  Pursue what is right at all cost, ask for forgiveness when you fail, because we are told in the Bible we will be forgiven, and thank God for His mercy and grace.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am a sinner every day.  There are times when I can make the same statement Paul did in Romans 7.  “For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.”  I need your help to overcome the sin in me.  Keep me focused on You and remind me every day to be steadfast in You and let Your Word guide my steps in righteousness for Your sake. 
          

Scripture: Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.  Romans 7:13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment