Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Apply Your Knowledge

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.  Charles Spurgeon

Has God’s Word changed you?  Many years ago I didn’t study God’s Word very much at all.  I had a basic knowledge of the Bible but I didn’t really apply my life to living what it said.  So if we are to become “Christlike” it will be necessary to live the Word.  If our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin can be removed, then we will need to practice the knowledge of Him.

How many people do you know who profess to be a Christian but their lives reflect a very different picture?  If I don’t live what I profess to believe then I am not a good example of who Christ is.  If I can quote scripture, but my life doesn’t reflect the words I speak, then I am not reflecting Christ.

One of the great ironies of this concept is that the more knowledge we get about God, the more we are expected to apply it to our everyday living. The Bible is not meant to be read and then set aside so that we can live our life the same way.  We are to be changed into his likeness or to become more like Him.  Our life and the way we live and treat others should be a reflection of Christ.  I am the first to point out that this is not easy.  I have sinned over and over again and there are times in my life when I reflected anything but Christlike behavior. 

I believe that is why God calls on us to confess our sins.  When we acknowledge that we messed up, it shows others our human nature.  It also creates a humble character in us.  If I am unable to confess to you my sinful state, then you may never see God or Christ in me.

How many times have we seen pastors, preachers and ministers fail and fall because they tried to hide the sin that plagued them?  The knowledge we have about God needs to be applied to everything we do.  There is a wealth of knowledge in the Bible that will teach us how to handle any situation we face in life, but it will not help us if we only use it as a doorstop.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You have provided me with an amazing Book that will teach me all I need to know to become like Christ.  I need your help to apply it to everything I do in my daily life.  When I apply Your knowledge to my life I will learn to live with wisdom and show others You.  I praise You my heavenly Father and Jesus Christ Your Son.
        

Scripture: And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  Romans 12:2



So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.  John 13:12-17 

No comments:

Post a Comment