Thursday, September 24, 2015

Rewards

Let us remember, there is One who daily records all we do for Him, and sees more beauty in His servants' work than His servants do themselves... And then shall His faithful witnesses discover, to their wonder and surprise, that there never was a word spoken on their Master's behalf, which does not receive a reward.  J.C. Ryle

So this morning I received an email that the toll road company is going to give me rewards for driving more on their roads.  So before I open the email I am thinking man this is great.  I will get a discount on my tolls for driving more.  Because the rates went up several months ago I have started taking the long way home to save on toll fees. 

Imagine my surprise when I open the email and find out what, as they say, “the much anticipated” rewards will be.  The more I drive the more points I earn and those points can be redeemed for exclusive deals at local businesses.  So I can go to a donut shop and buy donuts so that I will need to exercise more, call for a ride with a driver I don’t know,  wash my car or order flowers to name a few.  Instead of giving me the reward of lower fares, I get to buy things I don’t really need. 

I get sort of disappointed by companies and their reward programs.  To soften the blow of higher fares they think we will be extremely excited to receive points for things we don’t want and you have to go online to do it. 

Have you been to the drug store lately?  They will print coupons a mile long for things I don’t need or want.  Why haven’t they figured out that what many customers want are lower prices?

I think there should be a whole new concept in rewards for customers.  How about at the end of the monthly billing cycle and after driving more on their roads, they give me a percentage back based on my driving and it is automatically credited to my account.   The beauty of this concept is that I don’t have to do anything but drive.

The world has an unusual process of giving rewards.  They make what should be a simple process complicated. What the world considers rewards is really worthless when it comes to our Christian life.  If you want to see what rewards await you read the Beatitudes.  What will our rewards be if we follow His commandments?  We receive the Kingdom of Heaven, comfort, inherit the earth, we will be filled, receive mercy, see God and be called sons of God. That’s the kind of rewards I’m talking about!!

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want the rewards You offer.  If I follow You and obey You I will receive abundantly from Your many gifts.  Remind me daily which rewards in this life are important.  I need to also remember that if I talk about the things I do for others here on earth, I have already received my reward.  Remind me to be humble in spirit and wait for Your rewards that are worth more than anything we can obtain here on earth.           
      

Scripture: And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:


“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    For they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    For they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 5:1-10

No comments:

Post a Comment