Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Big Dog

A consciousness of our powerlessness should cast us upon Him who has all power. Here then is where a vision and view of God's sovereignty helps, for it reveals His sufficiency and shows us our insufficiency.  A.W. Pink

As I was writing the devotional from yesterday I found another Lyle Lovett song that made my heart laugh and we can’t get enough laughter in this world we live in. I will tell you the story behind the song and then share the lyrics with you.

Lyle Lovett lives in Klein, Texas just outside of Tomball Texas near Houston.  He lives on his family ranch and his horse veterinarian gave him a puppy.  He was taking the puppy home for the first time.  The puppy wasn’t happy about being taken away from his brothers, sisters and mom so he wouldn’t stop crying.  Since the drive was 25 miles it was going to be a long ride.  He also had to drive through Tomball on his way home and if you ever drive through Tomball you know it’s not in your best interest to speed because the local police are always waiting to catch you going a mile over the speed limit.  He said it was the longest ride of his life with the crying puppy, so he started singing to the puppy and he would only quit crying when he sang.  He said the puppy was sitting in the front seat with him the whole way as he sang this song.  His final comments about the song were that it transformed to be a song about how his parents took care of him when he was a child. 

LYLE LOVETT LYRICS

"Big Dog"
Ain't no big dog, Coming to bite you
Ain't no bad man, Coming to find you
Just rest easy, We'll be home soon
You'll be sleeping, In your own room
Don't you worry little one
Don't you worry little one
Everything is going to be all right In the morning light

Mama loves you, Daddy does too
Grandma wants you, After schools through
You just be cool
And rest easy
'Cause you're the king of All that you see
So don't you worry little one
Don't you worry little one
Everything is going to be all right In the morning light

When you're sleeping, What do you see
Must be angels Smiling at me
What did I do
To deserve you There weren't nothing As far as I knew

I'd go faster, In the pasture
But in Tomball, Live the law dogs
Thirty's fine, Oh, but thirty-one is a crime
And they all, Have a gun
But don't you worry little one
Don't you worry little one
Everything is going to be all right In the morning light


I think this applies to our Heavenly Father too.  We don’t have to worry about this life and what happens in it.  If God is our refuge and we’ll be home soon, we don’t need to worry about what happens here on earth.  I think we need to remember that we’ll be home soon.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I depend on Your presence to protect me and guide me in this life.  You know every tear I shed and you are my constant in a chaotic world.  You are a shelter to me, a strong tower from the enemy.  I will abide in You and trust in the shelter of Your wings.    

Scripture: Loving Assurance of God’s Eternal Protection


Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer.

From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah

For You, O God, have heard my vows;
You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.

You will prolong the king’s life,
His years as many generations.
He shall abide before God forever.
Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!

So I will sing praise to Your name forever,
That I may daily perform my vows.  Psalm 61:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment