Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Solomon’s Wisdom   

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.  Charles Spurgeon

Today I decided to meditate on Solomon.  I decided to put myself in his place and think about what I would have done with all that wisdom.  Solomon was really smart in the beginning.  When Solomon became king he understood that he was young and had great responsibility.  The one thing he didn’t have was wisdom to rule.  So when God came to him in a dream and asked him “what shall I give you,” Solomon’s response was unusual.

He asked God for an understanding heart to judge God’s people so that he would be able to discern between good and evil.  God was pleased that Solomon didn’t ask for what most people would have.  Riches, long life and the life of his enemies, so God granted him wisdom but he also granted him the things he didn’t ask for.  But, there was something God asked for in return for these blessings.  He asked that Solomon do several things.  Walk in God’s ways and keep his statutes and commandments.

Can you imagine God making you the wisest person on earth and because you didn’t ask for riches and long life he gives them to you anyway.   

This is where I think I wouldn’t have handled this very well.  When I think of the riches Solomon had, I think I would have failed in this area.  It is hard enough for me to handle what little I have now much less being the richest person on earth.  Solomon was the equivalent of a billionaire in his day.  Have you ever asked yourself if you had that much wealth what you would do with it?  Would you help others or spend it on yourself?  Would you pursue what God would have you do or would you pursue worldly things? 

I would hope that I would handle things differently but I don’t know.  It is easy to judge someone else until you really step into their shoes.  I think maybe I would ask for a sin free life.  Because all the smarts in the world doesn’t mean we will do what is right in God’s eyes.  

  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I know that I can learn wisdom through meditation and the study of Your Word.  I also know that all the wisdom in the world will not stop me from sinning and failing to follow your commandments.  I praise you for showing me mercy and for caring enough to keep waiting for me to come back.  I thank you for Your Son who died on the cross so that I can make my way back to You. 

Scripture:    Now the king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the great high place: Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?” And Solomon said: “You have shown great mercy to Your servant David my father, because he walked before You in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with You; You have continued this great kindness for him, and You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.  And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted.  Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?” 1 Kings 3:4-9

No comments:

Post a Comment