Thursday, December 15, 2016

Pride, Fear & Anger

PRIDE: No one enjoys feeling weak, whether it is emotionally, spiritually or physically. There is something within the human spirit that wants to resist the thought of weakness. Many times this is nothing more than our human pride at work. Just as weakness carries a great potential for strength, pride carries an equally great potential for defeat.  Charles Stanley

FEAR: Fear of something is at the root of hate for others, and hate within will eventually destroy the hater.  George Washington Carver

ANGER: Anger and bitterness are two noticeable signs of being focused on self and not trusting God's sovereignty in your life. When you believe that God causes all things to work together for good to those who belong to Him and love Him, you can respond to trials with joy instead of anger or bitterness. John C. Broger

Have you ever waited to hear God speak to you?  Sometimes we sabotage our chance to hear God speak to us because we are focused on one or more of three things.  Pride, fear and anger are the top three human behaviors that get in the way of conversations with God.

Pride gets in our way of communicating with God and it closes off communication from the Father.  If I begin to think that I don’t need His help and that I can do it on my own, I have accepted pride as my savior and not God.  It is easy to fall into this sin.  We do a good job at work and someone praises us and we start patting ourselves on the back.  If God created me and gave me the talents I have, then shouldn’t I be praising Him instead of myself for a job well done? 

Then there is the whole fear thing.  This one gets me into more trouble than I care to admit.  Some of us are afraid to hear God speak because that would mean I might have to change some things in my life or give up things I really enjoy.  Too many times fear becomes our shield against others.  How can we admit to someone else that we failed? So instead of being honest with others because we fear rejection, we let fear in and it takes over.

I’ve noticed that we live in an angry world. All you have to do to see this in action is get on the freeway.  There are people cutting each other off, not letting other cars in front, yelling and shaking of fists at other drivers and even in some cases road rage where weapons are involved.  God can’t speak to us in our anger.  We block His way in when we let anger rule our lives.  It is impossible to be humble when we are angry.

When we incorporate any of these in our life we close God off. We literally shut off communication with Him.  How many times in our lives have we totally missed God’s blessing because of pride, fear or anger? 

It is not easy tackling any one of these.  Since I am guilty of all three, I have broken it down into three parts.  Tackle one at a time.  Examine your life and determine where one of these or all of them is interfering with God’s phone call.  It is very much like the phone being off the hook or a dropped call on your cell.  If you don’t clear the lines to hear His voice you will miss His call.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, sometimes I allow pride, fear and anger rule my life.  I get involved in worldly stuff and that makes it easier for me to push You out and let the sin of pride, fear or anger take hold.  Help me to discern when this is happening and to turn to You so that I will not be tempted to fall.  Anytime I let one of these take over I lose communication with You. I want to hear Your voice all the time and I can’t if I am lost in pride, anger or fear. 

Scripture: 

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Proverbs 16:18


There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.  1 John 4:18


Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.  “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.  Ephesians 4:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment