Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Soul Vacation

Happy the soul that has been awed by a view of God's majesty.  A.W. Pink

Blessed are the single-hearted, for they shall enjoy much peace... If you refuse to be hurried and pressed, if you stay your soul on God, nothing can keep you from that clearness of spirit which is life and peace. In that stillness you know what His will is.  Amy Carmichael

Do you ever take soul vacations?  How many times do you stop in the midst of your busy life and take a rest from the worries, trials and just plain busyness of life? 

We are all busy.  Sometimes we take on so much stuff that we forget about God and the peace and rest we can find in His presence.  If we ever took the time to slow down long enough to realize how many things we do in life that have no bearing on eternity, would we stop and take a soul vacation? 
 
Here is my definition of a soul vacation.  To take time off from our overly busy life to dwell with God.   To listen for His voice and to meditate on His Word.  To talk to Him when we are anxious, afraid or just plain tired.  Quiet time spent with the One who created us. 

We all need soul vacations.  God stopped to rest on the seventh day and when Jesus was tempted by the devil for 40 days and 40 nights God sent angels to minister to Him.  Can you imagine being human like we are and fasting for 40 days and 40 nights and having the devil tempting you at every turn?  The devil offered Jesus the kingdoms of the world and asked him to turn stone into bread so that Jesus could eat.  I am afraid I would have caved to the devils demands.  One of the most important statements in this is that "God sent angels to minister to Him".  What a comfort to know that God will do that for us too.

If I want to stand strong for God it is necessary for me to take soul vacations.  I will not be able to fight Satan off if I don’t rest in the arms of my Heavenly Father.  Schedule time each week to take a soul vacation.  It doesn’t matter whether it is 10 minutes, 2 days or 1 minute each day.  Make time for a soul vacation and God will be there.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to make soul vacations a part of my life every day.  You promise to give me rest when I seek You and I want that more than anything the world offers.  I pray for your presence and strength in the midst of my soul vacation, so that I may remain strong against Satan and the temptations of this world. 

Scripture: Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.  Genesis 2:1-3

He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  Psalm 23:2-4

All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  Matthew 11:27-29

No comments:

Post a Comment