Monday, December 12, 2016

Security

Where does your security lie? Is God your refuge, your hiding place, your stronghold, your shepherd, your counselor, your friend, your redeemer, your saviour, your guide? If He is, you don't need to search any further for security.  Elisabeth Elliot

Where does your security lie?  When I thought about this question some of the things that came to mind were, my job, my home, family and friends, the security system on my house.  The problem with this kind of thinking is that it isn’t true.

One of the things I have figured out is that my job can fail.  I can lose it, it can be taken away from me, or I can make the decision to leave it.  If you look at it from that perspective, there is not much security there.

How about your home?  I can lose it due to mismanagement of funds (not making the mortgage payment), it can burn down due to faulty wiring, someone setting fire to it or leaving something cooking on the stove can make it go up in flames.

Then there are family and friends.  These can be lost due to mismanagement of relationships, differing values and beliefs or plain old neglect.

What about my security system on my home?  If I forget to turn it on there is no security there, or how about if a mouse gets in and decides to chew the wires and short circuits the system. 

When we place our trust in worldly security it will fail.  Why does this happen?  Because we are human and the world is filled with fallible things. When we learn that there is no better security than that which is found in God we have found our resting place.  He is the only security that will never fail us.  If we place our trust and faith in Him, He is the only security we will ever need. 

I love this quote by Elisabeth Elliot. “Take the word of the Lord in your darkness. If He died to let us live in his company, is He likely to abandon us just because things look dark?”  That’s the security I want.  If things in your world seem hopeless, rest in Him.

Prayer for the Day: Father, You are my security.  In You I can place my trust and You will never fail me nor forsake me.  Help me to remember that the things of this world are fleeting and not to place my hope in them.  My hope is in You Father and I praise You for your strength and presence when all else fails. 
   

Scripture: For the word of the Lord is right, and all His work is done in truth.  He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.  Psalm 33:4-5


Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy, to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.



Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.  For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name. Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in You.  Psalm 33:18-22

No comments:

Post a Comment