Monday, December 19, 2016

Your Identity

The major strategy of Satan is to distort the character of God and the truth of who we are. He can't change God and he can't do anything to change our identity and position in Christ. If, however, he can get us to believe a lie, we will live as though our identity in Christ isn't true.  Neil T. Anderson

Have you ever felt insecure?  I grew up a shy introvert.  I always felt like I never quite fit in with any crowd.  My insecurity was worse when it came to conversing in a group.  I thought if I said anything it would not come out right and everyone would make fun of me.  One of the biggest struggles I had was I hated to be embarrassed in front of other people. 

One of the interesting things about insecurity is that it can bring out our worst qualities.  My insecurity brought out my tendency to withdraw from others.  If I didn’t say anything then how could I be embarrassed by what I didn’t say?  The irony of this is that when I didn’t say anything it made others walk away from me.  It’s kind of like walking up to a stone statue and starting a conversation with it.  No feedback.  You’d be better off talking to the bird on the statues head.  Have you noticed that some people’s insecurity brings out anger?  When they feel they are losing control they get angry.  Then there are the ones who are insecure and become jealous of others. I could go on and on about insecurity.

I learned something over the years.  I was insecure because I didn’t really understand what it meant to belong to God and I didn’t fully understand what Jesus did on my behalf by dying on the cross.  If I build my identity on what the world thinks, I will be insecure for the rest of my life. How about if I build my identity on my looks or my spouse or the things I own? If I build my identity on anything but how God loves me, then I am doomed to a life of insecurity. 

When we let hurt, frustration and fear into our life, we will know insecurity.  It will surround us and take over every aspect of our life.  God wants more for us.  When we are secure in the knowledge that He loves us and places great value on His children, we will begin to understand what it means to be secure in the love of the Father.   
 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I spent many years of my life being driven by insecurity.  Even to this day I still find myself falling back into those old patterns.  It is at those times that I need You most.  You are the One I trust in and only You can give me a true picture of what love means.  When I become insecure, please remind me of Your love and that if I place my trust in You, I don’t ever have to feel insecure again.   
    

Scripture: “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:14-16

The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.  Proverbs 29:25

No comments:

Post a Comment