Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Gentle Spirit  

The influence of the death of Jesus on this world's life is immeasurable. The cross is like a great heart of love beating at the center of the world, sending its pulsings of tenderness into all lands. The life of Christ beats in the hearts of his followers, and all who love him have something of his gentleness. The love of Jesus, kindles love in every believing heart. That is the lesson set for all of us in the New Testament. We are taught that we should love as Jesus loved, that we should be kind as he was kind, that his meekness, patience, thoughtfulness, selflessness, should be reproduced in us. J.R. Miller (A Gentle Heart)

I think one of the hardest things for us to understand is what it means to have a gentle spirit.  It is easier for women because we are emotional creatures. Many times we as women base our interactions on feelings and that is not always a good thing.  I think God made us to be nurturers so it is easier for us to show sympathy and empathy. 

My Dad and I were talking and I asked him “How do you heal the hurt?”  Then I said, “Not just a physical hurt but a heart hurt.”  He responded by saying that he didn’t know because men and women are different and he doesn’t look at it that way. 

Many times I think we look at the fruits of the Spirit and we see these as weaknesses not strengths. Gentleness of Spirit relates to the way we communicate with others. We are to choose our words wisely and speak with kindness.  It means we have to be approachable and diplomatic in our interactions with others.  We don’t lash out vengefully when we are hurt or treated unjustly.  We don’t start arguments or alienate people through attacking one another. 

Jesus was the best example of someone who had a gentle Spirit.  He embodied self-control, power and strength while always reflecting gentleness and meekness.  He humbled Himself to others.  We are called to pursue and model it and those who name Christ as their Savior are to wear it in our lives and to live our lives in such a way that it becomes obvious to others that we are indeed filled with a gentle Spirit. 

This one was a tough one for me to write because I don’t always reflect the gentle spirit I should to others.  Satan tempts me to be less than gentle with others and then I choose to reflect that less than noble character.  Notice that this is a choice on my part.   God allows me to choose the way I will be, but I can also choose to be different. 
       
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to live my life in such a way that others see a gentle Spirit in me.  You call me practice this in everything I do but I need Your help.  Please give me a gentle Spirit like Jesus reflected to everyone he met.  Thank You for having patience with me when I am less than what you want me to be.

Scripture:  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

No comments:

Post a Comment