Monday, January 16, 2017

Tablet Splitter

Laughing is the best medicine, but if you’re laughing for no reason, you may need medicine. 

I received a card in the mail from my insurance company.  I probably shouldn’t have been reading it at 5:00 in the morning because I had to read it several times to get it.  On the front of the card in big letters it said “Stop Throwing Money Away.  Well that got my attention. In these difficult times who doesn’t want to save money.

So I open the card and it tells me that I am throwing money away by not splitting my medication.  What does that mean?  It goes on to show me diagrams and pictures of how I will save.  If I contact my doctor and get a new prescription for a larger dosage but fewer pills I could “potentially” save half off the prescription price of the full number of tablets at a smaller dosage.  I hope I haven’t lost you yet.  

How long do you think it will take the pharmaceutical companies to figure out that I am getting the same dosage in smaller quantities and jack the price per pill up.  I am going to get on my soap box here for a moment.  I am really tired of paying $10-$20 per pill for something that is supposed to lower my blood pressure when the very idea of paying that much for one pill raises my blood pressure.  Then I started thinking about how every morning I would need to break out the cutting board to cut my pills in half so I don’t overdose.  Then I read the fine print.  “Only split tablets with a device specifically for that purpose. Follow the instructions provided with your tablet splitter.”  Now I need to buy a “tablet splitter” for accuracy.

I think I need a new strategy.  If I get up at 4:00am and run around the neighborhood for free, lower my blood pressure and cholesterol so I don’t need the medication, (as long as I don’t run by the donut shop first), maybe I can cut my medication to “none” and save money at the same time.

Here are several questions?  Did God intend for us to prolong our lives with medications in the first place?  I struggle with this because if I think about it, why do I want to prolong my life here.  There is a much better place in eternity where I will not need the medications that keep me alive here on earth. Is this just our human need for longevity or our unwillingness to let go of this world?  Are we essentially searching on earth for the very thing we lost in the Garden of Eden? The reality is when the end comes no medication on earth will save us.  Only God can do that. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I struggle with questions about life.  I pray for Your wisdom, but most of all I pray for peace.  Peace in knowing that You know what is best for me and faith to understand that I may never understand this side of heaven. You are a wondrous God and I praise you for your grace and mercy over me.  
  
Scripture:  Now godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.  And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.  For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  1 Timothy 6:6-10

No comments:

Post a Comment