Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Distraction  

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence.  See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence.... We need silence to be able to touch souls. ~Mother Teresa

Do you ever get so distracted and do things repetitively so much so that you do something stupid?  I do.  Last night I decided to get my coffee pot ready before I went to bed.  I normally get up every morning at 4:00 and get my coffee pot ready, but I decided I would save some of my morning time and do it the night before.
 
Well I must have been distracted, because this morning when I got up to turn on the coffee pot, I lifted the lid where the grounds go and there were none.  So my mind immediately goes to “I know I did this last night.”  I know my husband didn’t touch it because he doesn’t drink coffee and the dog can’t reach the pot so it wasn’t him. 

I decided to check the trash.  Last night I ground the coffee, placed it in the filter placed it in the container that holds the filter and then I proceeded to throw it in the trash.  I don’t even remember doing it. 

There are times that I do this very same thing with God.  I get distracted by the things of this life and I will get to church and instead of paying attention to the message I will start thinking about all of the things that need to be done when I leave church.  Instead of worshiping the Father, I worship the things of this life. 

I have learned that I need a place that is totally silent for me to meditate on what God wants to teach me.  I can’t play music because that distracts me, and I certainly can’t watch TV.  I have to remove myself from all of the distractions around me to totally focus my attention on the One who created me. 

I also learned that you have to pick your place of solitude.  My time is in the morning when I get to work.  There are few people in the office and very little noise.  It gives me a solid hour of time to just think and meditate on God’s Word.  If you have never spent quality time with God, pick a place.  Talk to Him.  Listen for His voice.  You will be amazed at what you hear.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am often distracted by the things in this life.  It can be something minor that can take my attention away from you.  Please forgive me for not giving you my undivided attention.  I want to build my personal relationship with you and I can’t do that if I am constantly thinking about the next thing I need to do.  
           

Scripture:  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.  Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment