Monday, January 23, 2017

Joy  

If a thing is free to be good it is also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible. Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having.  C. S. Lewis

Joy is not an option.  I know there are days when I don’t feel much joy.  The stresses of life can be a huge hindrance to having joy.  This means that it’s not just the individuals in this life who have the temperament for being joyful.  Each of us are called by God to be joyful in everything we do. 

The problem with having joy is that life interferes.  Sometimes we may have sin in our life that takes away joy.  An example is when David confessed his sin of adultery he prayed, “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation” and one of the most important parts of this passage is “Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You.”  David asks for restoration of joy in his life so that he can bring others to God.

Sometimes our joy is removed from our lives because of sin in our lives.  It is hard to have joy if we are concerned about how we hurt someone, or if we have a sinful attitude such as envy, resentment, or a critical and unforgiving spirit.  All of these things will block the joy in our lives.

The other hindrance to joy is that we place our confidence in our good works or religious attainment.  Our joy should be grounded in and focused on the assurance of being with Christ one day and that our name is written in heaven.  If we focus too much on what we are doing in God’s name we often allow ourselves to be the source of our joy instead of Christ.
 
When God disciplines us it can be painful and not a joyful experience.  The thing is we have to keep our sights on what God intends to do with that discipline.  When we welcome God’s discipline it is with the understanding that this is God’s way of getting rid of sin and its habits.  We have to remember that God disciplines those he loves.

Trials can take our joy but the purpose of them is to exercise our faith.  Our faith grows through trials. It is a choice to be joyful in everything.  Choose joy.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to live a joyful life.  Please remind me of the joy that can be found in the trials of life and also through Your loving discipline.  Help me to not get caught up in the things I do in your name but to always remember the assurance I have in being with Christ one day. 
                 

Scripture:   Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your  generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You.  Psalm 51:9-13

No comments:

Post a Comment