Monday, January 7, 2013


I Am Second

The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?" ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
I like the concept of “I am Second.”  You see the billboards and the t-shirts with these words and I am sure there are many who see these words and look at them with ridicule. 

I personally think this concept should be taken one step further.  I think my t-shirt should read “I am Last.”  I think this portrays what Jesus was all about.  During His short time here on earth he put himself last.  He loved those who were the least, lost and unloved.  He chose to spend His time with tax collectors, prostitutes, lepers and anyone who was unloved by society. 
In doing this Jesus was teaching us how to be humble.  It's hard to be proud or arrogant when you are hanging out with those in society who are shunned and ignored.  Jesus understood why He was here and His purpose was not to show others how much money he had or how many things he owned.  His purpose was to save the lost and each one of us is exactly that, “lost”.  Until he came to earth and died on a cross we were lost.  We would have remained lost if he hadn't decided that he would put Himself last for us. 

So, I think I will work on being last.  If I do this I will put God first and everyone else second.  Putting myself last just may be the best place to be.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to have a humble heart.  When I start thinking that I am better than others or when I begin to think that the things of this life on earth are important, I ask that you use whatever it takes to get my attention.  I love You Father for loving me enough to care what happens to me in this life.  I praise You for your many blessings.
Scripture:  Good and upright is the Lord; Therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice, And the humble He teaches His way.  All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth, To such as keep His covenant and His testimonies.  Psalm 25:8-10

I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.  My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; The humble shall hear of it and be glad.  Oh, magnify the Lord with me, And let us exalt His name together. Psalm 34:1-3

 

No comments:

Post a Comment