Tuesday, January 15, 2013


In Another’s Place   

If you knew that only a few would care that you came, would you still come? If you knew that those you loved would laugh in your face, would you still care? If you knew that the tongues you made would mock you, the mouths you made would spit at you, the hands you made would crucify you, would you still make them? Christ did.  Max Lucado
Several years ago I was reading a devotional by Rick Warren, the author of “A Purpose Driven Life”.  In the devotional he talked about a form of studying God’s Word that I found interesting.  He talked about the Picture It Method of Bible meditation.  What he meant is that you take stories from the Bible and put yourself in the biblical character’s place. 

When I started thinking about meditating on a story from the Bible I chose the story of Jesus and Peter.  Remember how Jesus knew his life here on earth was coming to an end and he also knew what kind of end it would be.  He was going to die on a cross.  Peter talked about how much he loved Jesus and how he would do anything for Him and never betray Him.  But that is exactly what Peter did and Jesus knew ahead of time that it would happen because He told Peter exactly that.   
Can you imagine putting yourself in Peter’s shoes?  You are going through life thinking that you would never betray a friend and you promise you will never betray them and then when push comes to shove you do the very thing you said you would never do.

Then imagine putting yourself in Jesus’ shoes.  You are at the lowest point in your human life and all you want is for someone to stand by you on the road to your death.  Can you imagine how Jesus must have felt when Peter denied knowing Him not just once, but three times?  The hurt Jesus felt must have been tremendous.  Here is the kicker.  Jesus loved Peter anyway.  He didn’t stop loving him because Peter betrayed Him. 
That is the kind of love we are to have for each other and the sad part is we often fail just like Peter did.  The good news is we are redeemed through the very betrayal that occurred so many years ago.  The very reason Jesus was betrayed is the hope we have for redemption through his suffering. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, when I place myself in another’s shoes, it helps me to see things from their perspective, not just my own.  Help me to look at others the way Jesus did.  Help me to love others in a realistic way without expectations of what I should get in return. 
Scripture:   Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: ‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’  But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.”  Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”  Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!” And so said all the disciples. Matthew 26:31-35

 

No comments:

Post a Comment