Friday, January 11, 2013


When Trials Come   

Sometimes God calms the storm, at other times, He calms the sailor, and sometimes He makes us swim. ~Anonymous
Have you ever gotten angry at God over a trial you are suffering?  This is where I have a misconception of who God really is. 

When we face suffering and trials many times we blame God.  We do that because in our hearts we know that God can do anything, even save us from suffering but there are times when he makes us swim on our own.   I often forget who God really is and what He can do because I am so focused on getting out of the suffering and trials. 
I forget that God is the Creator of all things and that he knows exactly what I am thinking at all times.  So I put on a brave face just as we often do with people here on earth.  The irony is people are not God.  They can’t read our minds and know that we are angry or suffering.  So we place the same human attributes on an omnipotent God.  I often don’t realize that is what I am doing.  In my doubt my mind tells me that no one can save me from my suffering.  Then I become angry with God but I don’t express that anger to Him.  I forget that He already knows I am angry with Him.  He doesn’t need me to tell Him that, but He does want a closer relationship with me and that only comes with confiding to Him my sorrow and pain. 

There are numerous examples in the Bible of humans becoming angry at God and questioning why He allows them to suffer.  We see this happen with Job where he laments the day he was born and painfully asks God why He is allowing his suffering.  Paul complained to God about an unnamed trial.  He pleaded with God to remove it but God refused.  Then there is Jesus who suffered and knew that the suffering wouldn’t end until his death on the cross.  He turned to God in the Garden of Gethsemane and asked God to take this cup of suffering from him.  (Mark 14:36) Then while hanging on the cross he cries out “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!”  (Matthew 27:46)
If we become angry at God and never address it with Him through prayer we will remain angry at Him.  This is not the relationship He wants with us.          

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, when suffering and pain are in my life I often try to put on a brave face and offer up token prayers that really don’t help my relationship with You.  Help me to remember that You know everything I am feeling and thinking.  It is not necessary for me to tell You about my pain, but it strengthens my relationship with you when I pour it all out at Your feet.  You may not remove my suffering but you are always there for me to cling to in the midst of my sorrow. 

Scripture:  My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment