Wednesday, January 9, 2013


Swamp People

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings
I admit I don't really like so called “Reality TV”.  Over the New Year's holiday I watched Swamp People.  I grew up in Louisiana so I grew up sort of understanding what this lifestyle is about.  We didn't grow up like what is depicted in this show but I sometimes like to see some of the things from back home. 

There is a certain primitive beauty to the swamps of Louisiana.  God created this wilderness that is mostly underwater.  If you have ever driven across the Atchafalaya Basin you know what I mean.  There is a 18 mile bridge that crosses this body of water that is full of snakes, alligators and all other types of wildlife that most of us never want to see or live with.  Some of Louisiana's people can be described as clanish and many times they don’t associate with outsiders.  I think the reason for this is most outsiders don't understand the unique language or culture of the state.  There is no school that teaches you how to speak Cajun.  I call it shorthand French. 
The thing that struck me when I was watching the show was that the people work hard to provide for their families and they help each other when another is in need. They live very simple lives and they don't necessarily have a lot of worldly possessions but I often think they are better off because of their lack of possessions.  They don't worry about the kind of car they drive because most of them don't own one.  They don't wear the latest fashions because they don't care how they look.  They simply live simple. 

This made me think of Jesus and the story of the rich man who stored up his wealth but when Jesus told him to give his worldly possessions away and follow Him he refused and walked away.  He couldn't give away everything he had pursued his whole life and follow Jesus because he couldn't see the benefit of giving it all up to follow Jesus.
We often live the very same way every day.  We pursue worldly things because we think things will bring us happiness and they don't.  The very things we chase after often bring heartache and sorrow because they don't fill the emptiness that dwells in our heart. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to live a simple life yet worldly things are all around.  It is so easy to get caught up in the need for things and it often becomes a competition to see who can own or have the most in this life.  I would rather store up treasure in heaven.  Help me to see what is really important in this life. 
Scripture:   Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”  So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.  But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”  He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth.  What do I still lack?”  Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.  Matthew 19:16-22

No comments:

Post a Comment