Wednesday, June 12, 2013


A Lizard & A Tomato
God dwells in His creation and is everywhere indivisibly present in all His works. He is transcendent above all His works even while He is immanent within them.  A.W. Tozer

My husband and I were sitting on our patio last night after work enjoying the sounds of nature and catching up on each other’s day.  We have two tomato plants on our patio.  We both enjoy tomatoes so we decided to try to grow our own. 
A couple of weeks ago Jerry was watering the tomato plants and he saw small tomatoes on the plants.  The problem is the bottom of each tomato was missing.  Something was eating our tomatoes before they ripened. 

We discussed what we thought could be eating them.  You know the usual caterpillars or some other bug. Well Jerry was watering the tomato plants again and as soon as he started watering a big green lizard came running out.  You notice I say big, because he was pleasantly plump on our home grown tomatoes. 
Last night we are sitting on the patio and the lizard boldly runs in front of us across the patio to our tomato plant.  Well, he might get away with that when I am not sitting there but he wasn’t going to make off with my tomatoes without a fight.  I actually told my dog to chase the lizard away from my tomato plant.  I mean fresh tomatoes are one of my favorite things about summer.  I couldn’t let the green bandit make off with mine. 

God created some amazing creatures.  I am watching this lizard run from my dog and his front legs are shorter than his back legs but he is really fast.  My dog is fast too but not nearly as fast as Lou (that’s my name for my lizard).  Well, Lou was able to get away so my tomatoes are still in danger.  I decided in order to save my tomatoes from Lou, I would have to pick them.  I had five green tomatoes but unfortunately when I picked them Lou had already beat me to two of the larger ones.  Lou was really coming back for the second course. 
My husband and I started talking about the amazing things God created.  He created lizards that can lose their tail when in danger and grow a new one of a different color.  Many can change colors to blend in with their environment. Then I thought of the Komoto Dragon that is really a lizard.  I mean those things have been known to grow up to 10 feet long and sometimes track humans.  I am thinking Lou will never get that big but then I am feeding my tomato plants Miracle Grow so who knows, maybe I’ll leave a few tomatoes for Lou.     

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, it never ceases to amaze me about Your creation.  I watch nature and see You in everything.  When I see the animals you created, I can’t help but be in awe of You and praise You for creating me in Your likeness.   Thank you for giving us examples of your greatness. 
Scripture:  Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.”  So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.  And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.”  So the evening and the morning were the fifth day. Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: cattle and creeping thing and beast of the earth, each according to its kind”; and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.  Genesis 1:20-25

 

No comments:

Post a Comment