Monday, June 24, 2013


Strength In Weakness
The flesh must be broken. The Lord can use us then, not while it is unbroken. While Paul was writhing under Satan's thorn, he could get some estimate, though not a full one, of what the flesh is as God sees it. When it was broken, and Paul did not know what to do, the Lord came to pour sympathy into the writhing heart of Paul.  G.V. Wigram

My Mom and Dad and I were sitting at their kitchen table talking this weekend and we started talking about the apostle Paul.  Have you ever noticed when you least expect it wisdom will show up.  We were talking about how Paul had an affliction that God would not remove even though Paul prayed over and over again for God to remove it. 
My Dad said something that I had never really thought about before related to this verse.  The Bible doesn’t go into specifics about what Paul’s affliction was but Dad mentioned that his affliction might not have been an injury or disease but could possibly have been a stutter.  What better way to show others who God is than by giving Paul this great ability to write but taking away his ability to speak well in public. 

Too many times we humans want to take all the credit for the things that happen in our lives.  We want to glorify ourselves instead of the One who created us.  Sometimes the very thing we pray for may not be what God knows is best for us.  The blessing may be God’s withholding the very thing we want most in our life. 
If we understand the prayer in Matthew 6:8-10, “For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. Our Father in Heaven Hallowed be Your name.  Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”  If we understand the wisdom behind these verses, Our Heavenly Father knows our needs before we ever ask so don’t be surprised if what you need versus what you want is the answer you get.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am often guilty of asking for things out of a want versus a true need.  Help me to understand that you already know what my needs are and that Your grace is sufficient. Also remind me that it is not all about me.  I am not the one who needs to be exalted above all others, You are. Remind me that it is Your will that needs to be done, not mine. 
Scripture:  And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment