Friday, June 21, 2013


Without God
When life has been well spent; when there is a conscience without reproach; when there is faith in the Saviour; when there is a well-founded hope of heaven, there can be nothing that should disquiet us.  Albert Barnes

Without Christ there is no hope.  Charles Spurgeon
Several years ago I participated in writing a book about my cancer journey.  The hospital where I was treated had an ovarian cancer support group and they asked each woman to write about her cancer journey and then the hospital helped to get the book published.  In many ways it was a catharsis because it allowed each of us to see how far we had come, or if we were in the midst of treatment it allowed us to see other’s journey and know that there was hope. 

After the book was published it was kind of amazing to go out on Amazon and see it in print.  My oncologist’s wife is an artist and she painted the picture of the woman on the front of the book.  She used an actual model for the painting and then donated the painting to the support group.  One of the things that I found extremely sad was one of the reviews that was written about the book.  The following is that review:
Hoping For More

I had heard really good things about this book, but was somewhat disappointed. It focuses a lot on God and faith, and I am not a religious person. I was hoping for more insight on how to cope with a cancer diagnosis, in a more realistic way. Reader’s Review of the book TORCH Tales of Remarkable Courage and Hope   

I felt extremely sorry for this woman who wrote the review.  When you are diagnosed with cancer there is this fear that is beyond anything I could ever describe for you in words.  The only thing that I can say about it is it gave me a tiny glimpse of what Jesus must have felt to be born on this earth and to know at the end of His short life he would die a horrible death beyond anything I could ever comprehend.  Can you imagine knowing you would be nailed to a cross to die?  In my horrible sinful state I probably would have lied and cheated or done anything to escape that kind of death.  Sometimes God allows horrible trials in our lives to teach us what redemption really is.  Undeserving grace. 
As the years passed after the book was published, I watched one woman after another die from this horrible disease.  God showed amazing grace to me with this disease and I am forever changed by His love for a sinner such as I.  I honestly don’t understand how anyone can have hope without God.  What do we have to look forward to if we don’t have that hope in Him? 

I think it is best said by Randy Alcorn in his book entitled “Heaven”. 
“Satan wants us to give up on God, on our purpose and calling, and on our planet.  God reminds us, “The One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).  Satan seeks to destroy the earth.  God seeks to restore and renew the earth, rule it, and hand it back over to his children.  God will win the battle.”

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I can’t imagine my life without You in it.  You are my redeemer and you loved me enough to send Your Son to die on the cross so that I could have eternal life.  I pray for those who do not know You.  Our time on earth is short so I pray for those who deny You exist.  Help them to come to love You as I do and to know that there is everlasting hope in You.
Scripture: Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Psalm 91:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment