Monday, June 10, 2013


Refrigerator Magnets
I remember the time an older man asked me when I was young, "Do you know what you are doing now?" I thought it was some kind of trick question. Tell me," I said. You are building your memories," he replied, "so make them good ones." Ravi Zacharias

I was watching Sunday Morning on, you guessed it, Sunday morning and there was a piece on refrigerator magnets.  A study shows that 87% of Americans have magnets on their refrigerators except those made of stainless steel.  They won’t hold a magnet. 
I found it interesting because they talked about how you can tell a great deal about a family just by looking at their refrigerator.  It started me thinking about the magnets I have on my refrigerator.  I have magnets shaped like pasta, magnets holding blank notepads for grocery lists, fruit and vegetable magnets, a crawfish magnet that my husband gave me many years ago.  He had written a poem telling me how much he loved me that included the word crawfish in it.  It was very romantic.   I have various magnets that include the numbers of my local pizza joint, dentist, a magnet with who to call for benefits questions and I even have a Titanic magnet.  It says the following:  “Some days I feel like all I am doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.”

Then there are all the things that are held onto the frig with the magnets.  One side of my refrigerator has pictures that my nephews and I drew when they had sleep overs at our house, there are pictures they drew for me at various times of space aliens and there is one of my favorites that simply says, “I love you Aunt Brane”.  I like to think he thought I was really smart, but I think he was just learning to spell so he didn’t know how to spell Bren. I also have graduation photos of our friend’s children, photos of various family members at different events and school pictures of kids in the family.
What does your refrigerator say about you and your family?  There is history on most refrigerators. The only thing I don’t have on my refrigerator are my favorite scriptures.   I think I might buy one of those Magnetic Poetry kits that have different words you can rearrange on your refrigerator.  That way I will always have a reminder of the God who loves me and what better way to learn the Word that God wants us to bury deep in our hearts. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I can picture everything on my refrigerator because I pass by it every day and many times it makes me smile because it helps to remind me of special moments in my life.  I want to include You in those special moments because they are the most important.  I think I will update my refrigerator with memories of You. 
Scripture:   “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:25-27

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment