Thursday, June 13, 2013


Prayer & Action
Prayer is not appointed for the furnishing of God with the knowledge of what we need, but it is designed as a confession to Him of our sense of the need. In this, as in everything, God's thoughts are not as ours. God requires that His gifts should be sought for. He designs to be honored by our asking, just as He is to be thanked by us after He has bestowed His blessing.  A.W. Pink

I am guilty of superficial prayer.  When we fully understand what prayer is and is not, that is the true blessing.  Too many times I go to the Father in prayer and I lay it all at His feet, but I forget the follow-up.  What I mean is that when we approach the Father with our requests that is not the end of the story.  It is the beginning. 
Prayer is an interesting thing.  It is the one thing on earth that is available to everyone no matter what our place in life. We can go to the Father at any time and talk with Him when we are in the depths of despair or the joy of life.  The problem is we often forget the real purpose of prayer.  It is hard for me to remember at times, that God already knows my need.  If we look for the real purpose of prayer, it is a living relationship with our Heavenly Father. 

If I were to dissect my prayer it would need to have various parts.  Recognizing my need of Him would be the first piece.  The second part would be the understanding that He already knows what that need it is and it is not necessary for me to explain it to Him.  I would say my third part would be identifying what is really a need and what is just a want.  There is a fourth piece to the equation and that is following through.  This means we don’t just stop at the end of the prayer and expect God to do it all.  This is where I need to move into action.  I am not saying I take control of the outcome.  If I am praying for someone who has a need, as a follower of Christ, it is my responsibility to assist that person in whatever way I am able.  The final piece is praising and thanking God for His blessings, whatever they may be. 
Sometimes God blesses us through tragedy or trials.  This is often the most difficult thing to understand.  In our minds we think everything that is a blessing should bring us joy and happiness.  In reality, if some tragedy has to occur to get our attention and turn us back to Him, that is a blessing indeed.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of coming to You through prayer but not putting a lot of thought into what I should really pray.  If I break my prayer down into small parts I believe my prayer will be more effective for others and beneficial to me.  Your ways are not ours and that means You will not always answer my prayers the way I think they should be answered.  Help me to understand You better so that my prayer life can be more effective.  I love You Father and praise You for prayer.
Scripture:   These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.  And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.  1 John 5:13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment