Monday, September 16, 2013


Red Shoes

Remember that you are not called to produce successful, upwardly mobile, highly educated, athletically talented machines...Giving your children great opportunities is good; it is not, however, the goal of parenting. Christlikeness is. Above all, seek to raise children who look and act a lot like Jesus.  Chip Ingram
Have you ever thought about how other people, especially children watch what you do and often imitate you? 

I have one niece and she came to visit with me when she was young.  She was around five at the time.  Those were special times because she loved to dress up and wear my high heel shoes.  I had a red pair of heels that were her favorite.  One of my favorite pictures of her was a photo of her standing in my kitchen wearing my high heel red shoes.  Her tiny feet were only about three inches long and she was sporting my size 7 ½ red high heel shoes. She came wobbling into the kitchen and struck a pose.
My niece has grown up to be a smart and beautiful young woman.  She has an amazing sense of humor and has grown up loving the Lord.  I had the opportunity to talk with her for an hour or so last night, and listening to her talk about her faith was amazing.  She lives on her own in Austin and continues to put Christ first in her life.   

If you think about it, God has placed a great responsibility on all adults.  Our responsibility to children is one of the most important roles we will play in a child’s life and how we handle our interaction with them can make the difference in them coming to know Christ or not knowing Him. 
When I put it in that perspective it is daunting.  God expects us to lead by example and it can affect a child’s life for eternity.  Christlikeness is what we are supposed to teach children.  If we put it in the perspective of eternity, how would you feel if you knew in your heart that your child would not go to heaven?

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am a sinner who has not always been a faithful follower.  Each of us is responsible for our actions before children and how we act is often repeated in the children who look up to us for guidance.  I pray that you will help me lead by the example of my life so that those children will see You through me.   
Scripture:  Then He took a little child and set him in the midst of them. And when He had taken him in His arms, He said to them, “Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”  Mark 9:36-37

No comments:

Post a Comment