Tuesday, September 24, 2013


Testimonials

Testimonial - a written declaration certifying to a person's character, conduct, or qualifications, or to the value, excellence, etc., of a thing; a letter or written statement of recommendation.

If lips and life do not agree, the testimony will not amount to much.  Harry Ironside
I was listening to the radio the other day and as will often happen, the first thing that came on was an advertisement.  There was a spokesperson talking about how great this thing was that they were advertising.  At the end of the ad a voice comes on and says this is a paid testimonial. 

To me a testimonial kind of loses its value when you have to pay someone to say something good about your company.  I could probably walk up to a stranger on the street who knows absolutely nothing about my product, and pay them to say something nice about it even though they don’t even know what it is or may have never used it. It is really kind of sad the lengths companies will go to for a sale. 
Have you ever thought about what type of testimonial people would give about your life on earth?  Would there be declarations of how great your character is, or that your conduct was above reproach?  What about the value you bring to what is important in your earthly life?  Would it be filled with “it’s all about me” or “it’s all about others”?

As I look back on my own life, there were times when my character was good and many times when it wasn’t.  There were also times when “me” was my main focus and “others” wasn’t even in the picture.  If my life after I am saved doesn’t look different from my life before I am saved, then there is something wrong with the testimony I show the world.  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to be a light to the world but sometimes my testimony to the world is a poor example of what You have called me to be.  I need Your help to present to the world a testimony that is worthy of You.  I have the opportunity to be different and show others You, but if the testimony of my life is not hidden in Christ then I am a poor reflection of what a Christian should be.  I praise You for your mercy on me.        

Scripture: Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.  For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. 2 Timothy 1:8-12

No comments:

Post a Comment