Tuesday, September 3, 2013


The Gorilla

Many do not recognize the fact as they ought, that Satan has got men fast asleep in sin and that it is his great device to keep them so. But if we awake the sleeping sinner he will gnash on us with his teeth.  Catherine Booth
To pray is to let God into our lives. He knocks and seeks admittance, not only in the solemn hours of secret prayer. He knocks in the midst of your daily work, your daily struggles, your daily grind. That is when you need Him most.  Ole Hallesby

I was eating dinner with my parents last night.  Sometimes my Dad and Mom will tell stories from their childhood that I know they have never told us before.  My parents have history and I love when they tell stories of their youth.
My Dad told us that when he and his oldest brother were kids my grandfather took them to a parade to see a gorilla.  I started laughing because I don’t ever remember a parade that had a gorilla in it.  He went on to explain that the parade was part of a circus that had come into town so they had a gorilla, lions and various other animals.  The funny thing was when they finally got to the parade and the gorilla went by my grandfather  looked over at my dad and his brother and they were both fast asleep missing the gorilla they had come to see. 

This reminded me of the times in my life when God was knocking at my door and I was fast asleep, or maybe not so much fast asleep as not paying attention, and it was a lost opportunity to save a soul or to hear God speak.   
It reminded me of the story of Jesus praying in Gethsemane.  He took Peter and Zebedee’s sons with him.  He asked them to wait and watch with Him.  When Jesus returned from praying they were fast asleep.  On the most sorrowful and critical day of Jesus’ life on earth, his closest friends were sleeping and not just sleeping once but after Jesus went away three times and came back they were still sleeping.  Can you imagine how Jesus must have felt knowing that he would soon die a horrible death and his friends couldn’t stay awake with Him in his greatest time of need? 

The same can happen to us if we are not careful.  Will we be caught sleeping when the Savior returns? 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of being asleep when you are in my presence.  The Bible tells us that we must be vigilant because the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night.  It also tells us that the heavens will pass away and the elements will melt and be burned up.  Father I want to be prepared for your return and I will not be if I am caught sleeping.

Scripture: Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go and pray over there.” And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed.  Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.” He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.” Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “What! Could you not watch with Me one hour? 41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.” And He came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy.  So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.  Then He came to His disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand.” Matthew 26:36-46

No comments:

Post a Comment